1099-c question -- Do we have to reopen her estate and file this document?

This is a discussion on 1099-c question -- Do we have to reopen her estate and file this document? within the Wills, Trusts, Estates forum, part of the Other Family Law Matters category; My mother died in Feb. 2005. Her estate was properly probated and closed in 2006 by an attorney. My brother ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jzedalis

Default 1099-c question -- Do we have to reopen her estate and file this document?

My mother died in Feb. 2005. Her estate was properly probated and closed in 2006 by an attorney. My brother just received a 1099-c from a credit card company saying that since the debt was canceled it is income. Do we have to reopen her estate and file this document? Or is there something particular we need to do with it?
jzedalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: 1099-c question -- Do we have to reopen her estate and file this document?

They may be too late and you maybe able to ignore it. They should have filed at the time of the probate.

Have your probate lawyer review briefly too.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1232 times