Driving in the left lane; not passing -- Texas law

This is a discussion on Driving in the left lane; not passing -- Texas law within the Traffic & Speeding Tickets forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; TEXAS: I was pulled over and received a ticket for "driving in the left lane not passing." The ticket was ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Tunisha19's Flag is: United States

Default Driving in the left lane; not passing -- Texas law

TEXAS: I was pulled over and received a ticket for "driving in the left lane not passing." The ticket was given at about 9:30 p.m. on a Monday night at 3900 I 37 and South New Braunfels. I would like to know what Texas law states regarding driving in the far left lane and not passing, and what a solid defense would be. What are the chances this ticket will be dismissed?
Tunisha19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Driving in the left lane; not passing -- Texas law

The pertinent section:

545.051 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

So no, it likely won't be dismissed. Drive right/pass left is part of the UVC.

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3
stryker's Flag is: United States

Hello new here just looking for alittle confidence that i'm not guilty. I just recently received a ticket for left lane not passing in Texas as well. But I think I got picked on by the officer cause I was 200 feet behind a 18 wheeler that was passing a car which I said to the officer that I was right behind the 18 wheeler. I'm going in two days to plead not guilty. Hear is exactly what happened on interstate 10 about half mile before I saw the officer I had been following a 18 wheeler about 200 feet behind him he moves over to the left lane to go around a car so I did the same. We come up on a over pass which at this time the car on the right is almost inbetween us. At that time the 18 wheeler hit is brakes slowing down to 68 mph (the speed limit is 75) when we get off the over pass not aware of why he's slowing down but i;m thinking he's slowing down to move over or something along that line so I stay behind him. The car that was beside us didn't slow down so it ended up going faster then us. Well acouple of seconds later we pass the police car that was parked in the center median I then realized why the truck had slowed down. When we passed the cop he immediately pulled into my lane from a stop and accelerated which proves that I was not hindering any traffic and comes up behind me and pulls me over.

This will be the first time i've ever pleaded not guilty and so this will be a new experience for me . What do yall think thanks.
stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I think you are going to go to court, admit to the judge you were speeding, until the truck slowed down and have your charge amended.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5

the 18 wheeler and I was never speeding if thats what you mean I think the 18 wheeler just slowed down out of reaction from seeing the cop on the inside lane parked. To me this is complete B.S. on the officers part I keep running the situation thru my mind on why I was picked out and got pulled over and actually given a ticket for this when if anything the 18 wheeler was impending me. The speed limit where I was pulled over is 75mph.

This is the first time I was given a ticket that I truthfully wasn't guilty at it. lol.

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Top Level Member

Based on your description, you appear to have valid points, the judge might find believable. As the officer did not observe you traveling long distance, your story is probable in tandem with his.

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7

thanks thats what i was looking for or anything else I should say or do since i'm a virgin to the courts lol i've never even been called for jury duty but i probably just jinxed myself i'm 35 years old so i've avoided it this long. that is pretty much what I will say if this does go to court and the officer shows up.

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

You could've gotten reckless driving bc you could not see clear to pass the slower car. The 18 wheeler wasn't impeding you, he was driving lawfully.

To pass a slower vehicle you need clear passage.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Top Level Member

You will be given a chance to question the officer. Ask him the questions that establish the foundation for your plea.

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Unregistered

no no this was on a interstate 2 lanes going same direction the law is left lane for passing only. The 18 wheeler and I was in the left lane the slower car was in the right lane. the officer was sitting on the inside shoulder when we passed.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
texas

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 8222 times