$850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !!

This is a discussion on $850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !! within the Traffic & Speeding Tickets forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; Hi, I recently got a speeding ticket in Ashburn, GA (Turner County). I was driving on 96mph on 70 limit ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1
gauser85's Flag is: United States

Default $850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !!

Hi,

I recently got a speeding ticket in Ashburn, GA (Turner County). I was driving on 96mph on 70 limit (I-75).
I called the court to find my citation fines and they told it's $850 !!!!

My question is, is it worth hiring attorney and fight for it ? (This is my first ticket ever.)
I recently talked with an attorney and he told that he can get my fines reduced to $550 or something.
But I will still end up paying $300 Attorney charges+ticket fines.

One point he told is that he can try convincing court not to report any points against my license. (For that I have to take Defensive Driving course for 6 hrs for which I have to pay around $75 to $100 and then send the completion cert to court within 30 days).

But this course I can complete even after points are reported (if I dont go for attorney and points get added to my record), and after completing the course, they will again remove the points against my record...isn't it ?

Please guide me with this.
Thanks
gauser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: $850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !!

I wish to inform you that you may fight the ticket. In this, you may first draw a map of the site where you were given the ticket and also obtain information on the weather conditions at that time (visibility, etc.). You may try to bring out all facts in your favor from the map. You may also carry out discovery and obtain information on the calibration of the radar gun. You may study the ticket for any discrepancy in the information. You may meet the district attorney prior to the hearing and see if the matter can be satisfactorily resolved. You may go for the hearing on time and appropriately dressed. You may inform the judge that this is your first ticket. You may seek the assistance of a lawyer or self represent yourself in the court. You may seek guidance from Legal Aid. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. Alternatively, you may pay the fine and get the matter closed.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: $850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauser85 View Post
Hi,

I recently got a speeding ticket in Ashburn, GA (Turner County). I was driving on 96mph on 70 limit (I-75).

My question is, is it worth hiring attorney and fight for it ? (This is my first ticket ever.)
I recently talked with an attorney and he told that he can get my fines reduced to $550 or something.

One point he told is that he can try convincing court not to report any points against my license. (For that I have to take Defensive Driving course for 6 hrs for which I have to pay around $75 to $100 and then send the completion cert to court within 30 days).

But this course I can complete even after points are reported (if I dont go for attorney and points get added to my record), and after completing the course, they will again remove the points against my record...isn't it ?

Thanks
Take your lawyer's advice. Those points will mean every month for several years you will be paying much more for your insurance than you would should you have no points on your license. Probably a lot more than $300 a year.

This may be an expensive lesson, but I trust from this point forward you won't be tempted to drive nearly 100 mph.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #4
kojak7718

turner county is da worse damn county in south ga our jail system is bull**** and da cops here need to just die a horrible death we dont have any justice they all are crooks i think da dope dealers are better!!!!

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Unregistered

Don't hire an attorney. You
Can do the same thing yourself and if the officer doesn't show up they throw it out. Save the money...go to court...and plead with the solistitor yourslef
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauser85 View Post
Hi,

Thanks

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Unregistered

Originally Posted by gauser85:
Hi,

Thanks
Wow I got my 1st speeding ticket in Ashburn, Ga last year also around June or July I was going 80 in a 70 he said I was going 92mph (b.s.!) and they expect me to pay 550 bucks for that ****. I think that's way too much number one and I wasn't even going that fast. Ashburn is full of it!!!

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Unregistered

yo...i was doing 68 in a 55 on 10 mile road or some **** like that....almost $500 ticket...i went in to court and pled my case as an unemployed student and basically said there was no way to pay it and they cut my ticket in half...go to court and represent yourself...worse case scenario u end up with a $850 ticket...which u can break into payments

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Unregistered

yo its me again...one more tip bro bring at least $450 with u because the way i got it cut in half is because i agreed to pay it that day...i hope this helps you...**** TURNER COUNTY GA AND **** ASHBURN

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Unregistered

here is our story... FROM Today actually... turner County. We called a few lawyers on our way home but we are on the fence on who to chose. We really only want the ticket knocked down out of the "super speeder" range and the points removed.

My husband hasn't gotten a speeding ticket since his teens except for one that was ridiculously low ( I want to say it was 7 over posted) . I have him drive through GA because, I'm sorry.... Ga drivers are a bit nuts. There is constant tailgating and even when I'm in the slow lane they fly up on me and move over just before it seems like I'm going to get hit.

Long story short, he's driving a PRIUS.... just to put this in perspective... it's on ECO mode. He's doing maybe 80. I understand my husband was speeding, but he's okay with that speed and it kept us from getting rear ended. We top a hill and everyone is braking, he turns off cruise (AT 80) and lets his foot off the gas. Why do I know this? I watched him.

He sees the cop get off the shoulder, he moves to the middle lane. We play the "who's getting pulled over" game. First the trooper gets in the fast lane, then behind the car behind us, then moves to us. Pulls us over. I'm seriously thinking it's because we didn't have GA plates. We were in the middle of other cars and were NOT the last or first to exit the hill in that lane....

Says he clocked us via radar doing 90 miles an hour... in a Prius...... seriously? I bought the car for gas mileage, above 80 it goes to crap. Our "average speed" shown on the dash over the last 700 miles was 70.... so there is no way my husband was going a CONSTANT 90 through Ga.

My husband politely told the trooper that he was not, trooper asked for information and wrote us a ticket.

I'll give this county ONE thing... they sure do tickets FAST. Trooper comes back to our car, hands us a ticket, tells us he doesn't know how much it is and to call a number.

I check online, I see everything about a "super speeder " fee being assessed after being proven guilty. We switch so my husband can call the number on the back. The ticket? 20 over. The fine? 422 dollars. WHAT????

He asked the woman, is this INCLUDING THE S.S fee? NOPE! That's LATER, after you paid your ticket.

Now, we drive a lot. No where on this ticket, on road signs, on ANYTHING AT ALL is there a mention of said fee. Sure there is a statute number at the bottom, but who's really going to go home and look that up.

This fee is nothing but extortion. We were willing NOT to fight the 422, but to know that not only did the state, trooper and this woman all willingly HIDE the fact there was this fee is WRONG. Some may say she didn't but it took multiple questions to get the fee assessment amount and reason out of her. She only spoke in direct questions and never volunteered this information.

I know he shouldn't have done 80. However, he was NOT passing anyone, and was not moving in and out of lanes like I saw two or three "packs" as I like to call them did. This "fee" needs to be POSTED because if that tickets paid, you admit guilt.

We are hiring a lawyer because 1. The ticket is grossly exaggerated and 2. because of this fee. If we happen to get points removed, the lawyer will pay for himself in the long run.

BEWARE OF THIS COUNTY!

Old Feb 8th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #10
FLMom

I know how you feel. The same thing happened to us. We were in the middle lane following a group of cars, and out of no where, a cop comes racing up to our butts, but yet the pack of cars we were riding behind were no where to be seen. He told us we were going 17 over, we hired a lawyer, he gets it cut down under 15 mph over and we pay a less ticket and no super speeder fee and we have to pay the lawyer. I'm pretty sure they have this all worked out with the lawyers, but my husband has a CDL, so we didn't want the points on his license or for our insurance to go up. We havent had any tickets in over 10 yrs, but he didn't care. Sounds like we had the same cop. It's a scam for them to get some money in their crappy little county since the population is like none! We were heading back to Florida with our 2 year old after checking out the atlanta area to see if we want to move up there. This cop ALMOST ruined it for us, but we're still moving up there. I think we will go out of our way to not drive through Ashburn again!

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 15294 times