Littering ticket, cigarette butt

This is a discussion on Littering ticket, cigarette butt within the Traffic & Speeding Tickets forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; Is there anyone out there that can site the FL law on doing this or point me in the direction ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Unregistered

Confused re: Littering ticket, cigarette butt

Is there anyone out there that can site the FL law on doing this or point me in the direction where I may find it?

Thanks

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Unregistered

Default Re: Littering ticket, cigarette butt

It's too bad all smokers who toss out their cigarette butts aren't fined. Don't treat the world as your ashtray.

Old Dec 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Unregistered

I agree with the other posters. Littering cigarettes is disgusting and dangerous. It shows zero consideration for other people and the earth. Hopefully this fine will teach you a lesson.

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I received a ticket in NJ for littering: the result of tossing a cigarette butt out the window. The code - 39:4-64 - seem's fairly forthright, and I thought the word "highway" might be my loophole out of it, but alas, the definition of highway pertains to pretty much any public roadway.Anyway, if I had dumped a bag of trash, or had even tossed a soda can or something (I don't do either..), I would understand and take my lumps, but a $200 ticket for a cigarette butt is awfully steep... Any way to beat this?
My ticket for throwing a cig. out the window is $489 I have court on 9/20.. I quit smoking but if they make me pay this.. i might start up again just so i can throw my $489 worth out the window

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #15
mobilexraytech's Flag is: United States

How many points does a littering ticket count? I just got one and was actually a passenger not driver in the car... thanks (i normally don't litter & am ashamed)..
mobilexraytech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Maryellen's Flag is: United States

I doubt there is any way to beat it. The best thing you can hope for is the officer doesn't show up for court if you try to fight it but if you do they do have the right to raise the fine-add on court costs. It's probably best just to pay it.
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Unregistered

ha be happy it was only 200 in cali for my littering ticket same deal as you threw the damn cigarette out, I was slapped with a 500 dollar ticket.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilexraytech View Post
How many points does a littering ticket count? I just got one and was actually a passenger not driver in the car... thanks (i normally don't litter & am ashamed)..
Points are only assessed for moving violations. In your case, none could be assessed under any theory.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Here is Florida's Litter Law:

"TITLE XXIX, Chapter 403

403.413 Florida Litter Law. (4) DUMPING LITTER PROHIBITED.--Unless otherwise authorized by law or permit, it is unlawful for any person to dump litter in any manner or amount: (a) In or on any public highway, road, street, alley, or thoroughfare, including any portion of the right-of-way thereof, or any other public lands, except in containers or areas lawfully provided therefor. When any litter is thrown or discarded from a motor vehicle, the operator or owner of the motor vehicle, or both, shall be deemed in violation of this section; (b) In or on any freshwater lake, river, canal, or stream or tidal or coastal water of the state, including canals. When any litter is thrown or discarded from a boat, the operator or owner of the boat, or both, shall be deemed in violation of this section; or (c) In or on any private property, unless prior consent of the owner has been given and unless such litter will not cause a public nuisance or be in violation of any other state or local law, rule, or regulation. (6) PENALTIES; ENFORCEMENT.-- (a) Any person who dumps litter in violation of subsection (4) in an amount not exceeding 15 pounds in weight or 27 cubic feet in volume and not for commercial purposes is guilty of a noncriminal infraction, punishable by a civil penalty of $50. In addition, the court may require the violator to pick up litter or perform other labor commensurate with the offense committed."

[emphasis added] There was a bill to increase the penalty to $100, so I will check to see if it was adopted.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 19th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Unregistered

I Got a littering ticket for just sticking my hand out the window? Then the cop harasses me asking questions that have nothing to do with why he pulled me over i had my seatbelt on I was doing the speed limit, when he pulls me over I ask why did you pull me over sir, he says show me your lic.,reg.,ins., and i`ll tell you after. so he comes back starting all this **** pulls me out of the car sobriety tests me I havent had a drick in like a month, then asks all these questuions how much money do I have how often do I use this car just things that made no sense in any coversation really. So what can I do I`m taking it ti trial I sick of cops pushing people around and I`mma stand for the people!

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 15094 times