Getting My Ex-wifes Social Security Number?

This is a discussion on Getting My Ex-wifes Social Security Number? within the Tax Issues forum, part of the Other Business & Finance Law Issues category; Im trying to file my taxes from last year. And in order for me to proove that I paid my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
ajl02191974's Flag is: United States

Confused Getting My Ex-wifes Social Security Number?

Im trying to file my taxes from last year. And in order for me to proove that I paid my ex wife support and get credit for it on my taxes. I need her social security number. She won't give it to me, Even though 100% of my taxes will go to her. What Do I DO? And is there any other way around the ssn so I don't need it for the taxes?
ajl02191974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Getting My Ex-wifes Social Security Number?

If you guys were married did you file jointly? Both your numbers would be there.
goddessoflubboc is online now   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl02191974 View Post
Im trying to file my taxes from last year. And in order for me to proove that I paid my ex wife support and get credit for it on my taxes. I need her social security number. She won't give it to me, Even though 100% of my taxes will go to her. What Do I DO? And is there any other way around the ssn so I don't need it for the taxes?
You should have filed a joint returns for prior years, where her SSN would be on those returns. If not, then you will have to apply to the court that made the support order to have her disclose that number to you. In the interim, since time is short, file for an automatic six month extension to file your 2011 return..
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Unregistered

On top of the good advice you've already received, make sure you let her know that she won't be seeing one penny of your tax return. She must not want the money very badly.

You probably already have her ssn but don't even realize it. It would be on the tax proration filed with the registrar of deed's office when you recorded the deed to your home if you indeed bought a home together.

It's also on any joint bank accounts as well as tax returns for years you filed while you were married.

If you have any old paycheck stubs of hers lying around, it will be on those as well.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3322 times