Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

This is a discussion on Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances? within the Small Claims Courts forum, part of the Civil Litigation category; I have been attending University of Phoenix for over a year now and have been having problems with them messing ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

I have been attending University of Phoenix for over a year now and have been having problems with them messing up my paperwork since I started. I just recently got married and became an army wife, so my financial advisor told me that i needed to update my FAFSA stating that I am now married. I was not suppose to do so because I originally filled out my FAFSA in January and I didn't get married until March so as of the date the FAFSA was filled out I was not married and wasn't suppose to put it on my FAFSA until a new FAFSA was to be filled out for a new school year. I made the correction under the advisement of my financial advisor and it kept getting rejected and we didn't know why. I notified them that I would be switching schools so she told me we needed to get the problem fixed before I was to withdraw. After I told them I was withdrawing they no longer returned my calls or e-mails and I would have to repeatedly keep calling and speaking with different people each time. Finally 2 weeks before my last day my financial advisor calls and tells me that it is her fault my FAFSA keeps getting rejected so now i either have to stay at UOP until this matter is corrected or continue to withdraw and pay the remaining balance. I asked her why I have to pay for her mistake and she replies "Because it's your paperwork". I spoke with her manager and her manager was very rude and tells me that there was no way that my financial aid was going to pay the remaining balance unless I stayed so either way it went I either had to stay or switch and pay the money. Do I have any chance of winning if I take them to court?
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

Yes you do---Based on what you say here, you could file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no attorney...you could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior... You may also report them to your state attorney general's office.

If you want lawyers to intervene, see if World Law might be able to have a member lawyer assist you.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Unregistered

I had a few issues with them to. seemed they overcharged me

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Unregistered

Hi there,

I'm a reporter, writing about UoP. I'd love to hear more about your story. You can contact me by email, at scthejournalist@gmail.com.

Thanks,
sc

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Unregistered

I regret to hear you had a bad experience regarding your FAFSA, financial aid, and the withdrawal process. The University of Phoenix has an office dedicated to hearing student complaints and doing their best to resolve them. If you would like the Office of Dispute Management to look into your issue, please contact us through any of the methods below:

Mailing address:
Office of Dispute Management
University of Phoenix
4615 E Elwood Street
Mail Stop: AA-S401
Phoenix, AZ 85040

Email address:
UofPhoenix@phoenix.edu

Phone:
602-557-5566

Fax:
480-557-2275

Best regards,
Libby Bailey, University Relations Administrator
On behalf of University of Phoenix - Office of Dispute Management
4615 E. Elwood Street │ AA-S401 | Phoenix, AZ 85040
phone: 602-557-5566| fax: 480-557-2275 | email: UofPhoenix@phoenix.edu

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM   #6
JewelCal

Thumbs Up Re: Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

I'm going to look more Into it because I am 6 months pregnant and because of the stress with my financial aid I have been in and out of the hospital for stress induced contractions and I have been put on anti-depressants. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Unregistered

Thumbs Down Re: Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

I would say that your chances are slim to none. I have been attending UoP of Axia College for a year now. My loan perioid was up this coming Oct. and i asked for my transcripts. They told me that if i transferred then they would hold my transcripts untill my balance was paid. I was transferring then becuase all money would be paid and i should have owed them nothing. The enrollment advisor to the other school told me that unless they released my transcripts then i would have to retake some classes at the new school that i already had credits for at UoP.
So here i am staying with UoP. Because i cannot go anywhere else. I even tried to explain to them i just mainly wanted to take the math classes on campus instead of online because iam really bad at math.

But you can bet that they coverd their tails. You wont get very far, but kudos for you if you do. =)

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #8
JewelCal

Thumbs Up Re: Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

***Update***: After the incident with my FAFSA I filed a claim with the BBB and I also filed a claim with the Arizona attorney general. Yesterday I received a letter from UOP stating that the change made to my FAFSA was not suppose to be made and that the balance on my account had been waived. This further proves that UOP likes to pray on people that they see as weak, but the minute someone shows strength and determination UOP backs off. UOP has a lot of illegal and immoral practices that they do not want to be exposed. I have been through hell and back with UOP and I was not going to just let them do as they pleased without a fight.

Old Nov 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #9
PhoenixFraud

The University of Phoenix is facing a massive class action lawsuit that will close them down for good.

Read more here:

University of Phoenix Class Action Lawsuit 2009 - 2010

Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM   #10
Hellothere

You can get solutions for University of Phoenix at www.uopaxiasolutions.com

Bookmark & Share

Tags
university of phoenix

This thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 11363 times