What are my choices against suing my college?

This is a discussion on What are my choices against suing my college? within the Small Claims Courts forum, part of the Civil Litigation category; I am a military wife of a US marine and a college student. I would like to file a suit ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Unregistered

Lightbulb What are my choices against suing my college?

I am a military wife of a US marine and a college student. I would like to file a suit against my current school, long story short, because of them agreeing to accept credits from outside institutions (in writing), and then, after completion of the courses, refusing to accept them because they never bothered to process the forms even 2 years after they were submitted.

These forms were even signed by the department heads (many of which I have a copy of), but never filed into their computer system I guess, so they now are refusing to count them. This has happened for at least 23 credit hours, but I believe it\'s actually 41 credit hours at this point that I have had to pay for because they accepted and then denied them after the fact. These 41 credit hours I will have to pay double for basically because I had to pay the original institutions I took the courses at, as well as the school I will have to make up the credits to. In trying to remedy this, I have had to drive to the school on over 25 occasions (160 miles roundtrip), including two one-on-one meetings with the Dean, in which he promised resolution. To this day, no resolution has been made, and the promises the Dean himself made to me have not been kept. Each time I have fulfilled the requirements they\'ve offered me, they then tell me I am going to need more courses because they then find even more to reject. This has even happened with classes that they processed the transient credit forms for. I can be a lot more specific on the phone or in person. I\'m just curious as to what I can do to get this resolved because it is costing me a ridiculous amount of money over what I should have paid (I should have graduated in May), as well as causing me to have missed my husband\'s return from Iraq because they never bothered to complete my paperwork within almost 3 years. Almost all of the problems I have had with this institution, I have some sort of paper or email documentation of. Of course, for the forms they never processed, I don\'t actually have a copy of them since they only send them after processing to me. Please help me figure out what I can do. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: What are my choices against suing my college?

Take them to small claims and tell the judge you want the greens. You may also want a temporary restraining order against staff of the college. They will likely personally act rude and maybe violent. Complaints where I live dont protect.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Default Re: What are my choices against suing my college?

Based on what you say here, you could file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no attorney...you could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior... You may also report them to your state attorney general's office.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Unregistered

I have a question about something like this. What about a college class I took and they never graded the final I have called the professor, emailed the dean and still never received a grade and because of the 30% grade weight it shows up as a 0 and I should have an A and its a D on my transcript. The class ended in december it is now february.

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Unregistered

I'm not an attorney, but am a college administrator with some knowledge of Higher Education Law. This does sound like a case of possible breach of contract if the credits were promised to you. A similar instance of promissory fraud was filed in a few cases. For relevant case law, look up Byrd v. Lamar (2002), Carr v. St. John's University (1962), Ikpeazu v. University of Nebraska (1985), and Zumbrun v. University of Southern California (1972). Just by hiring an attorney, your institution would settle and make the appropriate corrections because it is a Hell of a lot cheaper to solve the issue than to take it to court and pay the fees.

Semper Fi!

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Paul McClung

I feel you have no recourse, but to sue them on breach of contract and misrepresentation. They lied to you and promise you to give you credit for the classes. Most colleges have a attorney on called. The student has the burden to prove their case. I think you have a case and can prove your damages. I will bring a summons and complaint against the college and file in the county you reside. I wouldn't take it to small claims court, because most of the cases are for traffic injuries, and for small amount of money.

I would file it superior court and ask for damages that is owe you, lost of wages, lost of time, a full tuition refund, lost of future earnings. Furthermore ask the court for a summary judgment on your behalf.

I feel that you can win. I hope you document the times you talk to the college, the credits that was promise to you and who you talk to you, the court wants that information. Ask the college what board they answer to and write them .

Old Sep 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #7

If you have got the written agreement between you and the institution, and it is not following them, you have every right to show them the road to court. They cannot escape from the agreements, as it would be counted as breach of contract.
esterdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #8
CSchultheis

I have a question about suing a college as well- different topic. I had a professor that e-mailed my dad (who is also a professor at the same school) about my behavior in class, which violates FERPA laws. Am I able to pursue a lawsuit against this professor/ against the college? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Unregistered

question can i sue my school for not finding me a job misleding me into thinking that i dont need a high school diploma and for sending me false leds for jobs its been over a yr since grad day medical assisstant program

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Unregistered

Why is it all we have on our minds is looking for ways to sue people?

Do you people realize it costs money to sue? You have to hire an attorney to take the case, first off. Then, attorneys are not cheap. Then, you have to realize that every time someone gets sued, it just makes things more difficult for the rest of us, as inflation rises for every company, entity, and person sued.

The money has to come from somewhere.

Can't our egos take a break from looking for needles in haystacks that have "lawsuit" written on them?

We have become a non-stop sue happy society. It's apparently all we have on our minds. We need to learn to pick our battles.

The last poster is a perfect example. He/she has not even mastered the English written language yet wants to sue. If you really are hell bent on suing, then sue the school who neglected to teach you how to properly spell, capitalize, punctuate and construct proper sentences.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 10165 times