Unjust payroll deduction

This is a discussion on Unjust payroll deduction within the Salary & Workers Compensation forum, part of the LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW category; My husband recently had an issue with his payroll that we are trying to figure out is legal. He works ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #1
leestokes08's Flag is: United States

Angry Unjust payroll deduction

My husband recently had an issue with his payroll that we are trying to figure out is legal. He works for a family owned business. He made an agreement with the owner's son to pay him for a product that had nothing to do with the establishment. My husband was off work for several reasons due to family issues. As a result, his pay was shortened a great deal. On top of this inconvenience, the owners deducted money for the son from my husband's payroll without consulting it with him. Never was payment for the products a stipulation of my husband payroll. What can we do legally about this issue?
leestokes08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Unjust payroll deduction

I wish to inform you that your husband may give a notice to his employer regarding deduction made from his salary. In this regard your husband may show terms of agreement and clauses which have been breached and also demand unpaid amount from his employer. If his employer refuses to pay then a lawsuit can be filed or alternatively a complaint can be filed with Department of Labor. An employer must provide salary as per agreement between parties.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Top Level Member
able1's Flag is: United States

That is not legal.

The firm cannot deduct payroll for a third party debt--no matter who it is, without a court order.
able1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Every employer, family or not, has an obligation to pay a person the wages they are due. You asked what can you do about the wrongful diversion of your husband's pay? The Department of Labor oversees violations of which this appear to be a clear one -- not paying your husband his wages due. You can also seek private counsel.

Here is the link to the laws:

Labor and Employment Laws of the Fifty States, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico ... U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), Wage and Hour Division ...
topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/table_labor
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1336 times