Live Off The Grid in Louisiana - where to get info?

This is a discussion on Live Off The Grid in Louisiana - where to get info? within the Other Real Estate Law Matters forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I want to live off the utility grid. I plan to buy property and build a small 1500 sq foot ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
John Phoenix's Flag is: United States

Default Live Off The Grid in Louisiana - where to get info?

I want to live off the utility grid. I plan to buy property and build a small 1500 sq foot house in south Louisiana below New Orleans Ė someplace. My home will be powered by solar, wind and if I have a stream on the property, Iíll also use Hydropower. I plan to set up a septic system, dig a well, and catch rain water (both filtered) for water needs. I need to shop for property in places with lose restrictions that will allow me to live this way.

Iíll need the ability to set up this system without having restrictions that say I must hook up to city utilities. Who do I contact in each Parrish to find out where these places are? Iíll need to find who to ask about property tax issues. Iíll need to know any restrictions on the building code for the house ( if any Ė Iíll probably build from established plans or erect a pre-fab house) and Iíll need to know what restrictions I may have on the property itself. Iíll need to know if I need to get any of these things ( septic, wind, solar, hydropower and house) inspected.

You see, I need to research all of these things when I go looking for a place to buy land because I will need to match my personal land desires with these restrictions/conditions so I will know if I can do what I want to do on the land I desire to build on. I donít want to buy the land, and start to build the house then find out there is something I cannot do in that area.

Where and how to find this information for each Parrish? Also after reading this, any related info you can give will be appreciated. Thank You.

John Phoenix
John Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Live Off The Grid in Louisiana - where to get info?

I wish to inform you that you may live in unincorporated areas like Ridge/Judice and Milton in Lafayette Parish, Louisiana. However, you may contact the Parish Permit Office for details.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Due to the intensity of storms in that area, though admirable, you could possibly find your handiwork destroyed within a decade or two. I suggest you consider a more viable section of the country.
Disagreeable is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Top Level Member

Find some land. There are many areas in the country that still have awesome, sunny, grow-able acreage for fairly cheap. Many places have owner-financing and other options so that you do not need to go through a bank. Look for a location away from any major cities. Look for land that is large enough for your needs. You should look for property with a well in good working condition. Look for a property that has an independent power source, or that is set up well to install your own. Choose a final location that has food sources and emergency services within an accessible distance, especially if you are not going to grow enough food to be completely independent on your property.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 883 times