Fake corner pin set by surveyor

This is a discussion on Fake corner pin set by surveyor within the Other Real Estate Law Matters forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; A licensed surveyor has set a false corner pin 3 feet inside my property. He told me that my survey ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
timhey's Flag is: United States

Default Fake corner pin set by surveyor

A licensed surveyor has set a false corner pin 3 feet inside my property. He told me that my survey is accurate! When I asked why he set it, he told me his customer, my neighbor, asked him to. She has been disputing my recent survey and the fence I put up. Is the surveyor's action legal? What can I do about this?
timhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Fake corner pin set by surveyor

I would like to inform you that when adding structures to the property, such as a shed, it is illegal for it to extend into someone else's land. All surveys start with a known, defined point. This may be a benchmark set by the government, or a point located by another surveying firm. From this defined point, the surveyor uses angles, distances and elevations to locate other points. By doing this the surveyor can determine if the property lines are correct or establish them. New additions to the property are located and defined at this time.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Fake corner pin set by surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhey View Post
A licensed surveyor has set a false corner pin 3 feet inside my property. He told me that my survey is accurate! When I asked why he set it, he told me his customer, my neighbor, asked him to. She has been disputing my recent survey and the fence I put up. Is the surveyor's action legal? What can I do about this?
Your surveyor can stand behind his survey, with map and monuments. The surveyor who told you of his client's deception --- let us hope he will be that candid should a lawsuit ever result. For he will either have to defend his survey as accurate, based upon the monuments -- starting and closing points or plat monuments that the survey began from -- or tell the truth and be your star witnes.

By setting a false pin, he is violating the standards of his profession and possibly putting his license at risk. If your surveyor is willing to stand by his markers, I would contact the owner and survey, in a joint letter to both, telling them to remove the pin(s). Counties also often have survey maps that include not just the lot dimensions, survey monuments, but often also the name of the surveyor.

Your fence is up and unless and until your neighbor attempts to lay claim to that 3 feet, you have suffered no damage. Except trespass by the surveyor placing the survey stake on your property. You can demand he remove it.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1083 times