Neighbors Videotaping

This is a discussion on Neighbors Videotaping within the Neighbor Law forum, part of the Other Real Estate Law Matters category; Hello. I am 65 years old and have lived in this neighborhood all of my life. I reside in Ohio, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Neighbors Videotaping

Hello. I am 65 years old and have lived in this neighborhood all of my life. I reside in Ohio, for those that need to know. I have always been surrounded by wonderful caring neighbors, but in the last 10 years that has changed. The neighbors across the street verbally harass me and my daughter, the father of the home constantly comes into my yard and dumps his leaf piles, and they also videotape our comings and goings, and it happened again today. I have called the police, but they have informed me that nothing can be done of the videotaping, and one officer told me to never call them again. I want to know what can be done to have the neighbor and his family stop videotaping us. Talking to them is not an option. I need advice fast, as this is causing me great stress. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Unregistered

The police officer is not correct. The police can stop that kind of behavior and routinely do so. Ask them to speak with the neighbors and go to the chief if you have to. You may file harassment charges as well.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Neighbors Videotaping

I disagree with your advice to this lady.
I have been living in Hell for the last 18 months due to a "neighbor" who lives 1/4 mile away. I was the unfortunate witness to his crime for which he is being prosecuted by the State.
Since this event, he and his wife have threatened my life. They yell obscenities and make obscene gestures. They report me to various local and state authorities for malicious and untrue things. They videotape me as I do yard work. They have even gone so far as to tamper with my vehicle.
I have been told by the police that, as they remain stopped on the public street adjoining my property, they can videotape me to their heart's content as I can be seen from the street and therefore have no reasonable expectation to privacy. Furthermore, as I do not have surveillance equipment, there is no way to prove their tampering. Even though I am one of the witnesses to his crime and even though he has also threatened local police.
Don't be too quick to hand over your hard earned money to an attorney on a dead end pursuit.
I find it amazing that people such as her neighbors and mine are able to get away with this deplorable behavior. Perhaps our efforts would be better focused on altering legislature so the verbage reads that this type of behavior is criminal. Then the police have the tools in which to stop them???

Old May 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Top Level Member
able1's Flag is: United States

You often don't need a lawyer to address that kind of issue.

Some police are easier to deal with than others but we see numerous cases where the police have a neighbor take down a camera that is directly pointed onto a neighbor. It is a form of harassment and privacy invasion.
able1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #5

You can video tape any public place so they are not breaking the law, however you can video tape them putting the leaf pile in your yard, and video tape them video taping you, give back what they give. Also, if he is harrassing you, and you have that on video tape, take his rear end to court and press charges against him.

The only other thing you can do is ignore him. He obviously has nothing better to do with his time and life, give him some entertainment. Possibly gross him out, get a cup of milk with chunks of food, bend over pour the cup out behind you and act like you are puking, let him video that! Just gross him out.
Another thing is you can get him for trespassing, if he comes on your lawn on your property with the camera, or even just comes on your property to even bother you, you call the police and press charges for tresspassing on your private property. He can video tape you, but if he is on anyone's lawn which is private property, he cannot! He can stand on public property but not private property so at least you have that to go on.

We have issues here too where we live, my neighbor was video taping because the neighbors would tell their kids to throw tomatoes at my neighbors house, he began to video tape all of this, they then took him to court claiming he was a pedifile, but he walked into that court with the tape and the camera, and they had no case because he video taped it all from inside his house and from his yard.

Good luck and like I said either ignore him or gross him out to the point he won't want to video tape anymore.
fedupneighbor66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Unregistered

Angry Re: Neighbors Videotaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello. I am 65 years old and have lived in this neighborhood all of my life. I reside in Ohio, for those that need to know. I have always been surrounded by wonderful caring neighbors, but in the last 10 years that has changed. The neighbors across the street verbally harass me and my daughter, the father of the home constantly comes into my yard and dumps his leaf piles, and they also videotape our comings and goings, and it happened again today. I have called the police, but they have informed me that nothing can be done of the videotaping, and one officer told me to never call them again. I want to know what can be done to have the neighbor and his family stop videotaping us. Talking to them is not an option. I need advice fast, as this is causing me great stress. Thank you.
have a sign made saying no vidio taping an put it one foot inside your property line if continues file charges of invasion of private property.

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #7
loved08's Flag is: United States

you can even make the sign yourself. write down when you make the sign & put it up. I'm sorry this is happening to you. there is an EVIL presence in this world & it's only getting stronger as the end nears.

1st. the sign.
2-call the cops, MAKE them (DO NOT TAKE NO FOR THIS THEY *HAVE* TO LET YOU SIGN THIS & THEY HAVE TO SIGN IT TOO)
MAKE them SERVE him w/ a trespass notice. he has to be SERVED BEFORE you can have him arrested for tres. 2 different occasions. you can fill it out w/ a cop then have them serve him. tell them you feel your safety, life, etc is in danger and you need to know what to do. the NEXT time a "COP" tells you to "NOT CALL" you need to get his name & badge #. he will be demoted for this. his **JOB** is PUBLIC SAFETY. they tend to forget this.
4. document everything. this guy/girl is a harrassing *******. if you want to get him/her for "harasmt" you have to have 3 different (3rd being the actual arresting incident) documented that officers have come out, talked to him/her and you and you have filed a police report for this SPECIFIC crime, (him/her yelling, cussing-which is verbal assault, screaming insults, threatning you, etc.). THEN they will & have to arrest him/her. also-if you can get a $10 recorder that will fit in your pocket USE IT!!! go get a simple digital recorder and put it in your pocket EACH time he/she comes NEAR you or you go outside where they will be; record his ass yelling, cussing, etc. this is also evidence for when you go to trial. this will be important as the cops around here tend to think ppl (like us) make this **** up. ugh. if only.

another thing. i know it's all a lot to take in but dont' be afraid of him/her. (not that the following is tooo comforting..but know) it IS all in GOD'S plan for you. you can help yourself by the above mentioned; but be brave knowing he is protecting you. usually if you mention GOD/hell they get scared by thinking you're a "religious freak". idiots.
good luck. get back to us. also-have a close relative that you trust document this too. try not to go outside in confrontation w/ this **** alone too often. this could be dangerous as charges tend to piss off some ppl. ha. if they shut their mouth it wouldn't be charged. also you can take him to small claims court and sue his ass for civil punishments. um...public humilition, damages to your car-house-etc, verbal assault, etc. all the things you want to paid for. sue him. judges wonder why we have soooo many lawsuits. hello? bc their slackass cop-friends don't do **** to protect us BEFORE someone gets killed. hello.
loved08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Unregistered

I replied prior, but wanted to let you know that I spoke to an officer because WE were going to video tape the ongoings that take place with this house on our street.
Taping from your own yard and taping the street, and out front "public area" is legal, but you have to be careful video taping children, and other people's property such as back yards, etc.. if you daughter is sitting out front and this wacko is video taping her, then I would call police and report it. Keep calling police when you see him out there video taping, the more calls the better. You can also go down to the station and file a complaint of harrassment.
Again, he can video things public eye- but if he is violating your privacy or you feel he is doing so- act on it. Report it to the police.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Unregistered

You are exactly right above. Neighbors don't have a right to just video all they want.

Your local police will confirm. But some departments are more willing to be active on this issue than others.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #10
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Neighbors Videotaping

Just today my daughter 9years old and nephew 8 were playing in the back yard in the pool, in bathing suits, until they came running into the house to tell me that my neighbor this female, that has given us problems before, was video taping them.. and they got scarred.
I completely felt violated and scarred for the kids, what is her purpose for taping my kids, while they play in the back yard.
I called the police, and they pretty much told me that they can't do much about it, they can't seize their video camera, and they can't even demand to ask them to delete the files in their presence. I was shocked it seems like as parents we can't even protect our kids, with out them being hurt first before the police take notice. I told the officer that I can't believe that my neighbor can get away with the things shes done, egging my house last year, calling me names and yelling at me even in front of my kids, while we do nothing back to them, trying to be above "that", and an example to our kids. but when it comes to video taping children playing in their back yard there should be something you could do for that. It scares me, I don't know what kind of malicious ideas she has..
Its disurbing because from the time we got here we've been kind to our neighbors we all moved here at the same time since its a new neighborhood, and she was ok with us for the first year, but then started snubbing us when we said hi, which is no big deal but then egging our home, her husband volunteeed to come over and clean it up in the middle of winter and we ignorred that incident.. and now this .. I had to call the police I think its sick and wrong. my neighbor is a mother herself of a single 2 year old little girl. And yet she does this I can't imagine what kind of mother would do this to other little innocent children.
According to the police I can take pictures of her daughter and they can't do anything about that either!! I can't believe the world we live in protects people like that and not our most innocent of beings. It makes me feel sad and scarred.

I am going to post the no tresspassing signs myself.. I know it was of great embarrassment to her to have the police call them talk to them to finally call them one last time and to request that they delete the video because she agreed, and said yes right away, but how is that comforting? also her husband dragged her over to our house tonight to talk about what happened since we called the police it suddenly became serious for them. We also live in a "good" neighborhood. This woman violated my family my children and our sense of privacy, and she walks around carefree and smug. It makes me sick.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 19495 times