Lost marriage and divorce papers... Is it okay to put UNKNOWN for the time?

This is a discussion on Lost marriage and divorce papers... Is it okay to put UNKNOWN for the time? within the Naturalization & Citizenship forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; I am currently filing form N-400 for citizenship. I had two marriages with the same person. I came here through ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
silkworm's Flag is: United States

Unhappy Lost marriage and divorce papers... Is it okay to put UNKNOWN for the time?

I am currently filing form N-400 for citizenship. I had two marriages with the same person. I came here through sponsorship of my brother. Meaning I immigrated here NOT through marriages. My husband passed away few years ago. I still have the second marriage certificate and death certificate. However, I've lost the certificate for the first mariage and also lost the divorce papers because it has happened almost twenty years ago in my native country. And I could not recall those dates. I am going to put down UNKNOWN for these dates. But I am afraid immigration would raise questions and may REJECT my application because of that UNKNOWN. They may REJECT my entire case. I do not want to lie by putting down that I just married one time (I still have the second marriage certificate). I remember put down marriage twice on the application for immigrating to this country years ago.Could you please help me. Thank you so much. Is it okay to put UNKNOWN for the time I do not remember? Do you think immigration will raise this issue ?
silkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Lost marriage and divorce papers... Is it okay to put UNKNOWN for the time?

I wish to inform you that as divorce is done through court thus you can tell any person known to you or a lawyer in your home country to obtain a copy of divorce decree from court. You may not know exact dates but if you know approximate time then court clerk can be requested and he may search through your name and give copy of court ordered divorce. If you or your husband were represented by a lawyer in divorce then you may contact lawyer who may give you necessary details from his file.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1061 times