WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics > Joint ownership of vehicle: Can I sell the car without his consent?

Joint ownership of vehicle: Can I sell the car without his consent?

This is a discussion on Joint ownership of vehicle: Can I sell the car without his consent? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; My ex-boyfriend and I bought a vehicle together in 1999 while we were living together and planning on being together ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Unregistered

Question Joint ownership of vehicle: Can I sell the car without his consent?

My ex-boyfriend and I bought a vehicle together in 1999 while we were living together and planning on being together forever. We took out a joint loan and bought the car and paid monthly on the loan. We then broke up in 2001 and continued to take turns with the payments until the loan was paid off. We paid off the loan in 2002 and the title was mailed to me but has both of our names on it. The problem I have now is that the car is being stored at his mothers' house and has been sitting there ignored for 5 yeas now. I would like to take the car and have it appraised and then decide if I want to keep it or sell it. My question is do I have a legal right to have it towed from his mother's property and take over the car since he has shown no interest nor tried to contact me at all concerned about the vehicle. I cannot have this car sit around and rot away nor do I want to jointy own anything of value with this man any longer. Can I sell the car without his consent?? or, if I decide to keep it, how can I get his name off the title and become the sole owner. I have tried contacting him several times over the years with no response. Then. as a last resort, I reached out to his mother a couple of weeks ago, again with no response.

Can anybody offer some advice??
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Joint ownership of vehicle: Can I sell the car without his consent?

You can act if your name is on title. But if he objects you two will have to go to court and settle it as to what can be done.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 6551 times