WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics > Food Stamps Application -- Am I required to have an answer within 30 days?

Food Stamps Application -- Am I required to have an answer within 30 days?

This is a discussion on Food Stamps Application -- Am I required to have an answer within 30 days? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; Direct quote from food stamps application: "By law, you will get an answer about your Food Stamps benefits within 30 ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
lizby's Flag is: United States

Unhappy Food Stamps Application -- Am I required to have an answer within 30 days?

Direct quote from food stamps application:

"By law, you will get an answer about your Food Stamps benefits within 30 days."

It has now been nearly two months since I applied. I had to stop working in my 31st week of pregnancy due to gestational hypertension. I have called my local DSS office, and spoken to severel people at the call center, who keep telling me that the application is still pending. How can this be if, by law, I am required to have an answer within 30 days? I have sent them all required documents and therefore the delay is caused on their end.

Quoted from "TIMELINESS (FSSB Section 3: p. 11; section 4: pp. 24, 31-34)"

"If the applying family has submitted all its documents and is eligible for food stamps,
but the LDSS still hasnít opened the case within 30 days, the LDSS must provide
food stamp benefits back to the day the application was first handed in. This is true
even if the LDSS does not decide on the familiesí application until more than 60 days
after they first applied."

Does this mean that they must issue them to me even though they have not made a decision on my case?
As if this experience is not humiliating enough, every time I call I am met with rudeness and ignorance. I would much rather work and buy my own food but unfortunately I am unable to. Please help me figure out what I can do to get them to move along with this process. Thank you in advance.
lizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Food Stamps Application -- Am I required to have an answer within 30 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizby View Post
Direct quote from food stamps application:

"By law, you will get an answer about your Food Stamps benefits within 30 days."

It has now been nearly two months since I applied. I had to stop working in my 31st week of pregnancy due to gestational hypertension. I have called my local DSS office, and spoken to severel people at the call center, who keep telling me that the application is still pending. How can this be if, by law, I am required to have an answer within 30 days? I have sent them all required documents and therefore the delay is caused on their end.

Quoted from "TIMELINESS (FSSB Section 3: p. 11; section 4: pp. 24, 31-34)"

"If the applying family has submitted all its documents and is eligible for food stamps,
but the LDSS still hasnít opened the case within 30 days, the LDSS must provide
food stamp benefits back to the day the application was first handed in. This is true
even if the LDSS does not decide on the familiesí application until more than 60 days
after they first applied."

Does this mean that they must issue them to me even though they have not made a decision on my case?
As if this experience is not humiliating enough, every time I call I am met with rudeness and ignorance. I would much rather work and buy my own food but unfortunately I am unable to. Please help me figure out what I can do to get them to move along with this process. Thank you in advance.
Anyone who can provide the answer to your question should patent it and sell it. He or she would become very rich indeed.

Dealing with any kind of state worker is an effort in outrage and futility. Apparently, the one requirement to be considered a state employee is extreme rudeness and a nasty attitude.

What it means is; when your case is approved, you will receive retro food stamp allowance funds.

You can't hurry them up. It's a waiting game. Be patient. If it does go past sixty days, however, write a formal complaint.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Food Stamps Application -- Am I required to have an answer within 30 days?

Contact your state representative. They will get it moving.
goddessoflubboc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

You may also go upstairs to your State's department of Social Services -- all the way to the Governor's office if need be. Yes, by federal law you are entitled to have a decision with 30 days.

Contacting your state representative is also a very good idea. Bureaucrats hate to hear from senators or representatives' offices.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2376 times