Teacher-Student confidentiality

This is a discussion on Teacher-Student confidentiality within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; My Brother was recently suspended from school (for a minor incident, he made fun of the church and he goes ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
DDS
DDS's Flag is: Canada

Default Teacher-Student confidentiality

My Brother was recently suspended from school (for a minor incident, he made fun of the church and he goes to a private school) anyways a teacher from the school told some people who know my family personally about his suspension. These people have no tie to the school whatsoever. I was just wondering if there are any laws protecting kids from teachers spreading rumours to people who are not involved with the school in anyway? Are there laws regarding student-teacher confidentiality? thank-you!
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Teacher-Student confidentiality

I wish to inform you that if a teacher is making false statements then the teacher may be sued for defamation. In this regard your brother may take legal action and can demand compensation. If your brother is a minor then he will be represented by a guardian in legal proceedings. If the teacher is speaking the truth then the teacher may not be held liable. It is a general rule that false rumors must not spread as it affects the reputation of a person and hence can cause defamation. You may issue a written Notice to the teacher and if the teacher does not resolve the matter, then you may file a lawsuit. Alternatively, you may take up the matter with the higher management of the school.

AFF
AFFA is online now   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
DDS
DDS's Flag is: Canada

Default Re: Teacher-Student confidentiality

He is a minor, he is 12. What she told people was true, but the problem is that she told people outside of the school about his suspension and that she told people who were close family friends of ours. So theres not much we can do because what she said was the truth?
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1739 times