Can I move out at the age of 17 in South Carolina?

This is a discussion on Can I move out at the age of 17 in South Carolina? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; i live in south carolina, and i wanted to know if i can move out at the age of 17? ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1
arish's Flag is: United States

Unhappy Can I move out at the age of 17 in South Carolina?

i live in south carolina, and i wanted to know if i can move out at the age of 17? and if so what do i have to do to do so?!
thanks!
arish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2
SLAYER8896's Flag is: United States

Lightbulb Re: Can I move out at the age of 17 in South Carolina?

All you have to do is buy a house and be emicpated also your parents must conset.
SLAYER8896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I move out at the age of 17 in South Carolina?

A child has to be released by the court to be considered emancipated in South Carolina. There is no particular statute that covers how to get emancipated in South Carolina. There has to be a petition from either the child or an agency that cares for that child to start the emancipation procedures. When a child becomes emancipated they are asking the judge to grant them authority to do the same things as a person who has reached the Age of Majority which is or 18 or 19 years old in most states. In the State of South Carolina this age is 18. The juvenile court must be petitioned to receive the status of emancipation. If the child receives permission from the court to be emancipated then the parents or the guardians are not responsible for the child. That means they are not obligated to provide money, medical insurance or any other kind of support. Before a child gets emancipated he or she must be able to provide for themselves, handle their own money and have a legal way to make money.
There are some minimum conditions to be satisfied before the judge will make a ruling in favor of the child.
The child must be a resident of South Carolina
The child has to be at least 16 years of age
The child must be living separate and apart from the parents or guardian
The child must be capable of supporting himself or herself financially and managing his or her own affairs
Each parent or guardian must consent (exceptions are there)
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Hayley

In south carolina, you may move out without parent permission. However, you may not be consider an adult until 18. Meaning, you can live outside of your parents home without their permission but may not but tobacco, work full time, etc. You are still a minor with some slight adult perks. I was told this by a polic officer when i tried to leave at 16.

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Unregistered

U tried...does this mean u were not allowed at 16

Old Jun 14th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Unregistered

Haha no u cnt move out at 16 cuz with parents like mine theyll just get the cops to bring u back home....

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
A child has to be released by the court to be considered emancipated in South Carolina. There is no particular statute that covers how to get emancipated in South Carolina. There has to be a petition from either the child or an agency that cares for that child to start the emancipation procedures. When a child becomes emancipated they are asking the judge to grant them authority to do the same things as a person who has reached the Age of Majority which is or 18 or 19 years old in most states. In the State of South Carolina this age is 18. The juvenile court must be petitioned to receive the status of emancipation. If the child receives permission from the court to be emancipated then the parents or the guardians are not responsible for the child. That means they are not obligated to provide money, medical insurance or any other kind of support. Before a child gets emancipated he or she must be able to provide for themselves, handle their own money and have a legal way to make money.
There are some minimum conditions to be satisfied before the judge will make a ruling in favor of the child.
The child must be a resident of South Carolina
The child has to be at least 16 years of age
The child must be living separate and apart from the parents or guardian
The child must be capable of supporting himself or herself financially and managing his or her own affairs
Each parent or guardian must consent (exceptions are there)
What are the exceptions of each parent/guardian having to consent to the emancipation?

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What are the exceptions of each parent/guardian having to consent to the emancipation?
You can move out at 17 without parent consent. To avoid problems make sure your parents know your safe. You don't have to tell them where you are though.

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can I move out at the age of 17 in South Carolina?

Quote:
You can move out at 17 without parent consent. To avoid problems make sure your parents know your safe. You don't have to tell them where you are though.
Incorrect. Thx for playing though.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Am i allowed to move out at 17 without going to court?

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 12004 times