TX, Underage Sex? -- What could be the consequences?

This is a discussion on TX, Underage Sex? -- What could be the consequences? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; I have a friend who is 16 and has been dating a 19 year old for about a year now. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused TX, Underage Sex? -- What could be the consequences?

I have a friend who is 16 and has been dating a 19 year old for about a year now. She said they are 3 years and 9 months apart, and I know they're having sex. I know them both very well and know they really do love each other and would never hurt each other, but I don't want them to get in trouble. Is this illegal, and if so what could their consiquences be?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: TX, Underage Sex? -- What could be the consequences?

Generally speaking there are no strict laws about dating In Texas. But law is stipulating statutory age limit for giving sexual consent. In Texas a minorís age for sexual consent is 14 with a 3 year gap ie, their partner has to be at least 14 but not older than 3 years apart. In your friendís case she is 16 old and she can have sex with any person with in the age limit of 14 to 19. So it seems that your friend can have a dating with a 19 old partner without getting into trouble.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a friend who is 16 and has been dating a 19 year old for about a year now. She said they are 3 years and 9 months apart, and I know they're having sex. I know them both very well and know they really do love each other and would never hurt each other, but I don't want them to get in trouble. Is this illegal, and if so what could their consiquences be?
How would you "get them into trouble" unless you intend to be vindictive and tell someone in law enforcement that you suspect they're having sex?

Is this any of your concern? Unlikely. Stay out of other people's personal affairs if what they're doing is not hurting you or each other.

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Texas

ß 22. 011

Sexual assault for anyone to intentionally or knowingly penetrate a person under age 17, other than his spouse. The actor has an affirmative defense if he is not more than three years older than the victim, who is at least age 14

Two to 20 years in prison
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: TX, Underage Sex? -- What could be the consequences?

I didn't say I would get them into trouble, I said "I dont want them to get in trouble." And this is my bussiness, more than you know. You have no place to judge the personal matters. Stick to giving legal advice or don't post.

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
I didn't say I would get them into trouble, I said "I dont want them to get in trouble." And this is my bussiness, more than you know. You have no place to judge the personal matters. Stick to giving legal advice or don't post.
How do you think it's your business? (not "bussiness") Seriously. Are you the parent of one of these people? If not, it's none of your business. Period.

If you "don't want to get them into trouble", why even say such a thing?

No, sweetheart, it's not YOUR place to judge. Mind your own business.

Thanks for the "advice" but I'll post whatever and whenever I want and if you think your telling me "don't post" is going to make me stop, you're sadly mistaken.

Grow up.

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Unregistered

I second the "stick to giving legal advice or don't post" comment.

Due to the 3 years and 9 months, the 3-year-gap law might be a little hazy since that's closer to 4 years apart. I'm not sure if they do any "rounding" when figuring these things out.

And to the unregistered user dishing out moral platitudes: this poster might have a genuine interest in helping her friend out in the case that an adult (i.e. a parent of either teen) decides they don't approve of the relationship and try to bring charges against the older boy. The threat of such charges can be stressful to a teenager; knowing they are groundless puts control of the situation back in the hands of the couple. From a legal standpoint, anyhow.

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
I second the "stick to giving legal advice or don't post" comment.

Due to the 3 years and 9 months, the 3-year-gap law might be a little hazy since that's closer to 4 years apart. I'm not sure if they do any "rounding" when figuring these things out.

And to the unregistered user dishing out moral platitudes: this poster might have a genuine interest in helping her friend out in the case that an adult (i.e. a parent of either teen) decides they don't approve of the relationship and try to bring charges against the older boy. The threat of such charges can be stressful to a teenager; knowing they are groundless puts control of the situation back in the hands of the couple. From a legal standpoint, anyhow.
And I second "if you don't like what you read here, go elsewhere" Until then, stop whining like babies.

There is no reason this "friend" would need to do anything whatsoever. It's none of her business.

The parents are the only people this matter should concern.

This is a public forum. People are going to give responses that are not solely "legal" responses. If you two birdbrains want absolutely legal advice, go shell out the money for a real lawyer. Until then, shut up or grow up.

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Unregistered

you're an idiot

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #10
daniax's Flag is: Romania

16...hmmm...too young for that
daniax is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
sex crimes, sex with a minor, texas, texas sex laws

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 7397 times