WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics > Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada.

Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada.

This is a discussion on Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada. within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; I live in Ontario, Canada. I graduated from high school last year, and just recently I found out that one ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada.

I live in Ontario, Canada.
I graduated from high school last year, and just recently I found out that one of my old teachers has been saying things about me to her class while she is supposed to be teaching. This wasnt just a slip up either, it has been multiple times over the course of a few weeks. Things like "he's an *******" and "the most awful person Ive had to teach." And I dont think any of this is deserved because I honestly didnt do anything to her and I assumed we were getting along when she was my teacher. It isnt just me either, shes been saying things about other former students of hers too, they just havnt found out yet.
I will definitely be contacting the school board about this, but Im wondering if I can sue for defamation of character/ slander, or anything else?
And would the payoff from this be able to cover the legal fees?
I probably just sound like a kid thats pissed off at his teacher, but I am really offended by this and feel that what shes doing just isnt right.
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada.

I wish to inform you that you may file a suit for defamation against teacher for defaming you. When the teacher had said anything against you to her students at that time there has been a communication by the person that has defamed you and your reputation has suffered. In this regard you may first give a notice of defamation and compensation. If teacher refuses to pay compensation then you can file a lawsuit. The amount of compensation will depend upon the words said about you, number of students present etc. The greater the damage to reputation the greater will be compensation.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada.

How does one prove how much their reputation has suffered? Because to be honest, most of the people she said things to were my friends anyways, so it really wouldnt have had any effect on them. I just want to sue on the grounds that she said this in the first place. Do I still have a case?

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Unregistered

Default Re: Can I Sue for Defamation of Character? -- Ontario, Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How does one prove how much their reputation has suffered? Because to be honest, most of the people she said things to were my friends anyways, so it really wouldnt have had any effect on them. I just want to sue on the grounds that she said this in the first place. Do I still have a case?
While it is extremely unprofessional for an adult to say such things about a minor, unless you can prove what this person is saying is untrue, you don't have a case.

She can say anything she wants in opinion about you- such as "He's the worst student I've ever had to teach". That's her opinion. It's not untrue if that's how she feels about it.

You might want to take the matter up with her supervisor, the principal and the superintendent of the school. Her behavior is childish and unprofessional and does not comport with adult teaching standards.

No, you do not have a case. You cannot sue everyone who says something bad about you. If you did, you'd be in litigation virtually all your life. People are going to say bad things about you from time to time. It happens to all of us.

Old Mar 28th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Top Level Member

A statement is taken as defamatory if that statement imputing the reputation of a person. From the facts it could understand that she made a mere statement or may be her opinion. It seems it will not in any way impute your reputation. But if the teacher is trying to make this statement purposefully or with the intention to ridicule or defame you in front of others then you have a case for defamation. In other words if the teacher knowingly spread false statements that harm the reputation of the student then no doubt she can be found guilty of slander. But remember teacher's statements may be conditionally privileged if they are made as part of the disciplinary process or of the teacher's administrative responsibilities.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
A statement is taken as defamatory if that statement imputing the reputation of a person. From the facts it could understand that she made a mere statement or may be her opinion. It seems it will not in any way impute your reputation. But if the teacher is trying to make this statement purposefully or with the intention to ridicule or defame you in front of others then you have a case for defamation. In other words if the teacher knowingly spread false statements that harm the reputation of the student then no doubt she can be found guilty of slander. But remember teacher's statements may be conditionally privileged if they are made as part of the disciplinary process or of the teacher's administrative responsibilities.

I have a question as well, I wrote a review of Dealership that pulled a fast one on me, and he just contacted me after seeing it online to claim he would like to sue me for defamation. The thing is, everything i stated in that review is true, "can he sue me? should I be pulling this down? Or should I be leaving this up so others do not go through the same issues we did with them?" Please see what I wrote below...

" ***** Motors is the Biggest Scam you will ever encounter with regards to dealerships. Please do not indulge the thought of giving it a chance with them because they don't check credit or they don't ask questions or if you don't have all you money together to buy a car for cash.

I'll explain why. I went to ******* Motors to buy a car. I found what I thought to be a reasonable car, and was advised not to mind the ON Check Engine light as it was a small issue. I proceeded to pay my extremely high deposit and then left.. A few months the Head Gasket blew and the motor was useless, only after a few months.. I returned to them and advised them of this. They told me the was a warranty for it and I would have to pay for half the charges. I was confused, they sold me a car that they knew would die only to have me pay the fees to repair it yet again. Anyway, I paid the fees roughly $2000, and the car was not even completely repaired. I missed a payment due to the large amount i just had to fork out to them. They immediately repossessed the car with no explanation. I was told i would not get the car back because I had defaulted on the contract. I then managed to talk to them and paid my past due and a month ahead. A few weeks down the line, that issue regarding the engine they did not fix came up and I returned the car to be fixed. I again had an issue with my bank account and their pymt did not go thru. Knowing what had happened in the past I immediately found some cash and took it to the dealer that very same day, so the payment was not actually late, but just did not pull out of my acct.

They told me they would not return the car to me because our agreement said they would get their payment thru the account. Another thing is before I made the payment they were completely fine with me coming in to make the payment. BUT as soon as I made it, they told me, they will not give me the car back unless I pay off the car now. With out notice, the owner ************* called the Police and advised them that we were harassing him and demanded they remove us from their property. He also advised us to never contact him or come to their premises without a lawyer or he will file harassment charges against us.

At this point we were completely stunned. This guy, "*********", had managed to get $2200 as a deposit, $1900 in payment towards the car, $400 that he claimed were bank charges due to NSF, $1800 for to repair (the repairs which were done in his own shop and not completed) a car we were told worked just fine and had passed inspection and was now demanding we pay the remaining $3600 in 15 days or he will not give us the car back or our money back.

This guy seems to be in the business of defrauding people, buy selling cars that he knows will die in a few months only to recover them back, keep your money and sell them off again to another person. Mind you this character, "************" has been jailed in USA for 10years for unknown charges, and has had civil matter disputes regarding his business, ******** Motors and has been take to court numerous times... Please also check the BBB Better Business Bureau.

Please be aware, this dealership is not one you want to be dealing with at all.."

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Unregistered

I am wondering if I have a defamation of character case. I had attended a school for the deaf and recently found out that someone had spoken ill of me. I had just started going out with my fiancee and her family had been told of a previous relationship where the mother knew a former teacher of mine. They were told that my wife's family built a house for her on the property and that they did not want me living there. Although, I was married after that relationship where the mother knew my former teacher.

Here are the facts:

My wife's parents did not build a house for her on the property.
My relationship before I was married the girl's parents had a mobile home put on the property.
We live in such a small area that it could only be this teacher.

When I was asked by the girl's mother if I knew this teacher I said yes and she asked me what would this teacher say about me?
Although the teacher does not live in the area now she did before and is an alumni of the local high school, my old girlfriend showed me the teacher's mother's residence.

I was alarmed and incensed that a former teacher would have said anything at all considering that I am out of school and should not involve herself in my business unless she heard my side too.
I have been out of school 19 years when my fiancee's family told me what they were told. Although I just got this information last fall and I understand there is a two year benchmark and that you can't file after the two years is up.

My question is if I can't say when this information was shared can it be the first time I suspected something? or do you work from the comment made to me from this family member last fall?

Please let me know you thoughts. Thank you.

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Unregistered

(Continued from previous thread above.) I failed to mention that this former teacher said that I had better be good to my fiancee is what was told to me by my fiancee's family. This is the reason that I am so alarmed by this. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Unregistered

What are your monetary damages?

You cannot sue simply because someone's talking about you. You must prove to the court that your reputation - in the form of losing money - has suffered.

This means you must prove that you've lost money as a result.

Until you can prove that, you have no grounds for lawsuit.

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Unregistered

I live in onatrio and i told a girl off threw texting her can she sue me threw slander

Bookmark & Share

Tags
defamation of character, slander

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 25488 times