Legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?

This is a discussion on Legal to have a pet possum in Michigan? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; Michigan Is it legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?

Michigan

Is it legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?

I wish to inform you that it is not legal in Michigan to have any wild animal as a pet. Therefore, you may not have a pet possum in Michigan.

AFF

Last edited by AFFA; Jun 15th, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Unregistered

No.

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Unregistered

Actually I will inform you yes Short Tail opossums are legal in Michigan. Last user neglected to "define" the word Wild animal. I work in the exotic field and we own several species of reptiles which are legal here in Michigan also so the word Wild animal and illegal need to be addressed specifically. Please ask more questions to the user instead of jumping to conclusions and know your state laws before answering.

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually I will inform you yes Short Tail opossums are legal in Michigan. Last user neglected to "define" the word Wild animal. I work in the exotic field and we own several species of reptiles which are legal here in Michigan also so the word Wild animal and illegal need to be addressed specifically. Please ask more questions to the user instead of jumping to conclusions and know your state laws before answering.
My dear, it's understood in the real world by all people with even half a brain that "wild" animal is defined, by law, as any animal not domesticated. This means possums are, indeed, wild animals.

Dogs, cats, horses, pigs, goats, gerbils (and other hybrid rodents), domesticated rabbits, and the like are considered "domestic" pets.

Possums, especially adults, are quite difficult (if not impossible) to train and they are dangerous, unpredictable animals.

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Unregistered

Incidentally, possums are not "reptiles". They are considered rodents.

Just because people are stupid enough to own "exotic" (translation, dangerous, wild) does not mean it's legal.

Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Unregistered

Oh my dear you are very highly mistaken. Do you have any animal education under your belt to even respond? I highly doubt you do since you defined an Opossum as a "Rodent" when these animals are North America's only marsupial. Again, do your research before you answer.....These animals are legal, indeed trainable, and NOT unpredictable. BUT they do belong in the hands of experienced owners. They need a very very strict diet. Not knowing about their diet needs, can lead to metabolic bone disease, and bulging eye syndrome.

Old Nov 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Unregistered

If the original poster is still active please let me know I will be more then happy to give you a PROPER list of Michigan's state laws regarding Short Tailed Opossums.

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh my dear you are very highly mistaken. Do you have any animal education under your belt to even respond? I highly doubt you do since you defined an Opossum as a "Rodent" when these animals are North America's only marsupial. Again, do your research before you answer.....These animals are legal, indeed trainable, and NOT unpredictable. BUT they do belong in the hands of experienced owners. They need a very very strict diet. Not knowing about their diet needs, can lead to metabolic bone disease, and bulging eye syndrome.
My dear, not an animal on this planet (humans included) is predictable. You chastise others for doing research before you respond but you don't even know enough to realize no animal is predictable?

They are not legal in many states, and while something may be "trainable", it doesn't mean the animal is a good choice for a pet. Many "trained" animals attack their owners and kill them. Possums are capable of killing people. You knew that, right?

Incidentally, learn to read posts before you respond to them. It said they are CONSIDERED rodents. Have you actually seen a real life opossum? They may have a pouch, but they look and are considered very much like rodents. Which is why they are considered pest in urban neighborhoods and normal people usually discourage them from destroying their gardens, property, etc. They DO carry diseases, just like any other wild animal is prone to do.

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #10
Unregistered

Being considered and KNOWING what these animals really are in the professional field is quite different ( You would fail on a zoology test for that statement). I work in the exotic field therefore, I am experienced as to knowing an animal's behaviors in order to protect myself and the animal's I am working with. You're right, animals can be unpredictable I miss-lead that statement and I would like to rephrase that. When you are experienced, and you are aware and respect an animal's surrounding/territory, you can alleviate a negative response. I am not saying that method works 100% of the time, but when working with animals or owning any, you should KNOW what you're doing period. And yes I have seen a opossum. I own 2 of them in fact this is why I have been responding regarding the help of this individual. Opossums in fact ARE marsupials and are FAR from being a rodent. Again, do your research....As some states do deem these animals illegal, (We are not talking about other states here) Short Tailed opossums and Virgina Opossums are legal here in Michigan. But if breeding, you must acquire a USDA license. The original poster is talking about Short Tailed Opossums which are much smaller cousins to the Virgina Opossum. I seem wonder why you are still responding to this issue if you really have no idea what you are talking about...I would really like to know what background you have when it comes to animal knowledge that you feel you have to debate this issue with me. Again if you do not have the professional experience to back up your statement, try "Google"....It does wonders I can even give you a few links to my friend's site who rehab opossums and wild animals they could really give you a lot of VALID and correct information. Also, Opossums have a extremely HIGH resistance to most common wildlife diseases and viruses such as rabies. They have a much lower temperature than most mammals, that the virus has a difficult time surviving. You say that people can or have died from an opossum, really? When and how? Someone really most of been really bothering him because working in a rehab facility with wild possums, we have never seen one "attack" these animals want to retreat as much as possible before using a last resort of attacking. Again....Do your research before posting, I am getting quite tired of correcting your false information on these animals. Like I said, just because these animals are in the pet industry, and they make wonderful pets, that does not mean they are for everyone. Do your homework and know what your getting yourself into BEFORE purchasing any animal. And check your laws.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 3638 times