Invasion of privacy/recording without consent

This is a discussion on Invasion of privacy/recording without consent within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; what are my legal options upon discovering that I was recorded for over 2 hours by my husband (who I ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #1

Confused Invasion of privacy/recording without consent

what are my legal options upon discovering that I was recorded for over 2 hours by my husband (who I am in the middle of divorcing) without my consent or knowledge? I have the micro recorder/evidence in my possession. Is there a time limit to have something done legally?
NiceAssPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Invasion of privacy/recording without consent

I wish to inform you that the recording of video at a public place is allowed but if it is made where it is assumed you are having privacy like at home etc. then it is not allowed. You can file a suit for injunction and destruction of such video and also compensation. You can claim that taking your video without your permission has violated your privacy. The time of taking video is when you are having divorce at that time your relations are nearly finished and therefore husband has no reasonable basis for recording video.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Laws on recording vary from state to state. What state was the recording made in?

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Unregistered

Audio, video, or both? Were you in his presence or did he do it from afar? What State did this take place in?

In civil court, recording are often admitted. However, if you reside in a State that requires the recorder to alert people of such recording, it will not be admitted.

If you have the evidence in your possession, why not simply destroy it?

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Unregistered

Audio in which I now have the miro recorder in my possession. This recording took place in my presence at my residence (CA) we have been separated for 3 years, and this 2+hour conversation that he recorded was about a year ago, and the recording has been in my possession for 4 months. He never said he had a recording device, never asked my permission. This isn't the first time he has done this to me, and on this recording it is even brought up by me the problems I have with him and recording me as in the past!
I want to press charges this time.

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

California requires all parties to be informed they are being recorded on audio.

I would recommend you speak to an atty about the feasibility of suing (will you even break even with atty fees?) And statute of limitations.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 6976 times