WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics > What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?

What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?

This is a discussion on What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; I'm just curious......

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?

I'm just curious...
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #2
sandra's Flag is: United States

Default Re: What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?

Related:

List of alcohol laws of the United States by state

This list of alcohol laws of the United States by state provides an overview of alcohol-related laws by state throughout the United States. This list is not intended to provide a breakdown of such laws by local jurisdiction within a state; see that state's alcohol laws page for more detailed information.

As of 2009, all U.S. states have a minimum purchase age of 21. However, prior to 1988, the minimum purchase age varied from state to state. Unlike the states, the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam have a minimum purchase age of 18 (but it is 21 in the Northern Mariana Islands).

List of alcohol laws of the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maps of specific statistics...
Attached Thumbnails
What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?-acs_mnsr_map_2006.jpg   What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?-open_container_map_2006.jpg   What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?-sunday_ban_off_prem_2005_3-9-2006.jpg   What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?-underage_consumption_map_2007.jpg  

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
sandra's Flag is: United States

Map 1: Prohibition of Open Containers of Alcohol in Motor Vehicles as of January 1, 2007
Map 2: Bans on Off-Premises Sunday Sales as of January 1, 2007
Map 3: Exceptions to Minimum Age of 21 for Consumption of Alcohol as of January 1, 2007
Map 4: Retail Distribution Systems for Spirits as of January 1, 2007

See all the Maps attached above.

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Unregistered

Absinthe

It is illegal to sell in the US, but not to buy or possess. The reason is an ingredient in the absinthe derived from wormwood, thujone. Thujone is illegal to sell in the US if deemed for human consumption. This stems from the belief in its narcotic effect. It would appear that the US authorities find absinthe too dangerously intoxicating. It can be purchased online, however.

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Unregistered

Smile Re: What alcohol is illegal to sell, import or buy online in the US?

Actually, that is no longer true. Absinthe is now legal to buy in the United States as of 2008. There are several brands available.

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Unregistered

I am not sure it is the real one...

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Unregistered

Actually, although there are many imitator "Absinthe" brands in the US the only legitimate one on the market, with real Wormwood, is called "Lucid Absinthe" its green, and is generally the flavor that is used in movies. Quite delicious, but it does what it says, and literally makes you lucid. It was banned for having and effect like narcotics, except this stuff is easy to overdo. A bit expensive as well. the cheapest I've seen is $59.99. Great for special occasions. Only place other then online that I have seen it sold was at Fryer Tuck. although not listed on their website. Hope this helps

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually, that is no longer true. Absinthe is now legal to buy in the United States as of 2008. There are several brands available.
Actually, yes they do sell absinthe in the US, but they take out the wormwood and other intoxicating substances other than alcohol. It's not the absinthe they sell in Europe.

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually, yes they do sell absinthe in the US, but they take out the wormwood and other intoxicating substances other than alcohol. It's not the absinthe they sell in Europe.
Along with that, it's very low levels of the alcoholic drink even with all the other intoxicating substances taken out, the drink is "watered" down. 100% absinthe (without the other intoxicating substances) is still illegal.

Old Feb 26th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
No, the version in the states is NOT the same.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
illigal alcohol, united states, us law

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 16605 times