Illinois: Loud exhaust law

This is a discussion on Illinois: Loud exhaust law within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; What is considered loud exhaust in Illinois?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Unregistered

Question Illinois: Loud exhaust law

What is considered loud exhaust in Illinois?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Illinois: Loud exhaust law

It would be best to call the department of motor vehicles (MV)...

Illinois Secretary of State
Driver Licensing & Title/Registration
In-State: (800) 252-8980
Out-of-State: (217) 785-3000

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is considered loud exhaust in Illinois?
I believe 93 decibels is pretty much standard when dealing with aftermarket exhaust requirements. Some states are higher but none are lower.

Old Sep 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Unregistered

where would you go to get it tested?

Old Jan 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Unregistered

Here is the statute. It doesn't say anything about decibel level. If it's louder than the original then it's illegal...which is what the cop told my son last night as he was writing the ticket!

(625 ILCS 5/12‑602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑602)
Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P. A. 77‑37.)

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Unreg Cop

I only write these if its obvious you are pushing your RPM's to the limit just to make your muffler sing while in a residential or semi residential area.

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Unregistered

Is it me or did that cop just admit to writing tickets to people who aren't breaking the law?

Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Unregistered

What if you did an engine swap in a car that did not originally have that engine? Would it be based on the exhaust volume of the donor (the vehicle the engine came out of) car, or the car it is going into?

Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it me or did that cop just admit to writing tickets to people who aren't breaking the law?
It's just you.

Unreg cop stated that he/she writes tickets to those people who are breaking the law by deliberately creating unnecessary loud noises, which are not only a disturbance of peace, but have a detrimental effect on the human body's nerve responses.

To the last poster: stop asking stupid questions that can easily be answered by your local mechanic. It doesn't matter which car has which parts. ANY loud noise coming from ANY car, however it's been built, is going to attract the attention of the police, and tickets will be issued.

Stop trying to annoy people with attention getting antics.

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Unregistered

I was written a loud exhaust ticket recently by a cook county sherriff because my toyota avalon developed a leak. I went to court and got 25 dollar fine plus 160 court costs. The court costs seem wrontg to me because they charged me 35.00 supervision fees.
The judge never mentioned supervision and I was not there for any moving violation, just loud exhaust. Isnt it wrong that they charged me 35.00 supervision fee when I am not on supervision? Is there any recourse to get my 35.00 back? They must be doing this (charging supervision court costs when no moving violation or supervision was involved) to hundreds of people per day unless it was a judges error?

Bookmark & Share

Tags
illinois, law, loud exhaust

This thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 16443 times