Harassed by upstairs neighbor

This is a discussion on Harassed by upstairs neighbor within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; I am being harassed by my neighbor. I think she has a listening device because where ever I go in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1

Question Harassed by upstairs neighbor

I am being harassed by my neighbor. I think she has a listening device because where ever I go in my apartment, I can hear her going to the same room at the same time. This is almost constant. She does not work. She evens moves her furniture whenever I move mine,and to top it off she tries to follow me when I leave the apartment. What can I do legally? I am planning to move,but what can I do until then?
marcy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
typical

Big Grin re: Harassed by upstairs neighbor

It is harassment ,my family experiencing the same thing , just don`t pay attention they just trying to drive you crazy ,or provoke you. If they continue escalate harassment you can contact authorities because i`m pretty sure what are they doing it is illegal nor have any legal authority to use any kind of technology to spy on you .What you did you do? Did you piss of the mob lol?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #3

Default re: Harassed by upstairs neighbor

Hi. First off, I believe you. I hope that helps as I am experiencing just about the same thing. I have two "white noise" machines but still this is unnerving. I am seeking legal help and am afraid for my safety. I have also contacted the police (GO THERE; if your walls/floors are thin like mine you don't want to provoke this person). Police can't do much for me, but maybe you will have better luck. I AM being recorded (see my post) and I just want it to stop. This is all-consuming. Anyway, I had just signed my lease again, and I hope you are not in that same predicament! I have also invited a friend to stay with me (safety in numbers; still waiting on an answer). In my case, I would be satisfied if this just stopped--but being that I am being recorded in my own apt I don't know how comfy I can be here now. I hope the above helps you a bit--let me know. My person is stomping very loud right now (I hope he knows this is illegal) of course I can't go to LL. Just hope it stops or they make a move with that illegal recording. He can't say I am insuinating this or it would be admitting he is listening to me. Good luck to you tooB
emevas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #4

Smile re: Harassed by upstairs neighbor

This is a update on my stalker from above problem.I complained to management several times.When management left a message on her phone she would be quiet for several days,but returned in full force.I called the police,they stated that although she was being a pest she was doing nothing illegal and suggested I continue to complain to management.I moved in September.Good Luck to the poor person that moves into that apartment.This woman is mentally ill.
marcy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #5
Smr

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy22 View Post
I am being harassed by my neighbor. I think she has a listening device because where ever I go in my apartment, I can hear her going to the same room at the same time. This is almost constant. She does not work. She evens moves her furniture whenever I move mine,and to top it off she tries to follow me when I leave the apartment.What can I do legally? I am planning to move,but what can I do until then?

Thank you for writing this! Oh my goodness, I have searched the internet for days trying to find someone else in the same situation as us. We live in a Section 8 Apartment and the lady upstairs moved in with her 1 year old. Next thing we know, the boyfriend moved in, and well.....to sum it all up. We have been living in hell for the past 8 months. He does not have a job and he has a lot of time on his hands. We both work and he knocks on the walls, stomps on the floors, plays music, taunts us continually, and he repeatedly bounces a baseball bat on the floor to intimidate. In the evening he goes out into his car and turns on his car headlights with the highbeams on and repeatedly does this all through the night, reves the engine, etc. AND nonstop follows us throughout our apartment day and night, night and day, around the clock, 24/7. Even if one of us gets up to do a late night restroom stop...THERE HE IS, he goes into his restroom. It's like he lays in wait like a lion/animal/predator. And our own personal relationship has suffered and we both feel like we are going insane. Even when we are as quiet as a mouse he always seems to know the instant we move in our apartment and he is able to follow us step for step. How does he do that?!?! Police, Management, HUD, no one will help. But thank you for your post.

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Unregistered

You are not going insane. Unfortunately, your neighbor has already made that trip and is now in residence.

He's mentally ill. It's very unfortunate that in this day and age, health care professionals have become so greedy that mentally ill people cannot be committed anymore, due to lack of insurance or money to pay for such services. So the mentally ill remain out in society to be a menace and a danger to themselves and others.

I would call your local mental health help hotline and describe the situation and ask if there is anything that can be done. Your neighbor is mentally ill, and needs professional intervention, both of the medicinal and the psychiatric kind.

Try to ignore him as much as possible, as it is attention he is desperately seeking. If you pay attention to him, it will escalate his bizarre behavior.

I would also ask the landlord if the man is living there legally under the lease. If he's not a tenant, he can be evicted.

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Violated

Default Re: harassed by nextdoor neighbors

I just moved into an apartment about a month ago - there are only 2 units - before I moved in I made the landlord aware of issue I experienced in my last apartment ( tenant playing musical instruments 24/7 - ie: acustic guitar and drums- & used illegal drugs - smoking marijuana) the landlord assured me anyone using drugs will be evicted immediatly and guarenteed no loud music-
The landlord said I should not worry there is nice gentleman and his daughter only living door to me.
note: the man next door is the maintence guy for the building(ie: has keys to my apartment)
The daughter is not a nice girl - disrespectful and disreguards rules. Her boyfriend somehow
started living with them on a daily basis. I've heard them playing loud music at 12:30am and asked them to turn it down - the boyfriend yelled thru the walls - F-you and a few more F-bomb words - I told the landlord and he was supose to talk to the Father and let him know the boyfriend was not on the lease and should not be living there- the father became very defensive and needless to say -within a week- both my desktop and TV had broke - (desktop -system crashed) and the TV had to be replaced. This boyfriend
has also illegally hooked into my internet for free service - I only caught this when I noticed a spliter cable in my utility room wall - which is one of three wall adjacent to their apartment.
I constintly hear loud clicking from one side of my apartment and hear the same noise coming from their apartment as well.
I found out the boyfriends name and googled him to find that he has a police record of various charges
the most current one - being charged with suspecian of illegal substances.

I feel the daughter and boyfriend have helped themselves to the father keys for my apartment
and done damaged to both my TV and Desktop computer. I also feel they have illegally placed a spliter cable in my utility room given them illegal use of my internet service.

I feel the daughter and boyfriend have illegally installed either a camera or audio device in my apartment.

The landlord just thinks we are not getting along and assures me none of this has happened.
The landlord said I can replace my locks - I'm thinking - 1) the original locks should have been changed upon me moving in. 2) I am replacing my locks but feel the landlord should reimburse me of this expense
given my grief the Nice Maintance Man's family has caused me.

I would love to get copies of the boyfriends criminal records plus have someone find either a camera or a
audio device in my apartment. So I can prove to the landlord once and for all my privacy has been violated and I want to press charges against these so called "nice" people.

**My question is:

1) How and whom should I call to inspect my apartment for camera and or audio/listening devices?

2) How do I get copies of the boyfriends criminal record even if he received court supervision.

Any advise would be appreciated

Old Mar 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Unregistered

they have what u call ia a sound amplifier u can buy them in any dollar store are google the words as seen on tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smr View Post
Thank you for writing this! Oh my goodness, I have searched the internet for days trying to find someone else in the same situation as us. We live in a Section 8 Apartment and the lady upstairs moved in with her 1 year old. Next thing we know, the boyfriend moved in, and well.....to sum it all up. We have been living in hell for the past 8 months. He does not have a job and he has a lot of time on his hands. We both work and he knocks on the walls, stomps on the floors, plays music, taunts us continually, and he repeatedly bounces a baseball bat on the floor to intimidate. In the evening he goes out into his car and turns on his car headlights with the highbeams on and repeatedly does this all through the night, reves the engine, etc. AND nonstop follows us throughout our apartment day and night, night and day, around the clock, 24/7. Even if one of us gets up to do a late night restroom stop...THERE HE IS, he goes into his restroom. It's like he lays in wait like a lion/animal/predator. And our own personal relationship has suffered and we both feel like we are going insane. Even when we are as quiet as a mouse he always seems to know the instant we move in our apartment and he is able to follow us step for step. How does he do that?!?! Police, Management, HUD, no one will help. But thank you for your post.

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #9

Unhappy re: Harassed by upstairs neighbor

I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE. I have been harassed by upstairs neighbors for over 2 yrs. it has been a nightmare. there is a couple upstairs who act like the Leave it to Beaver Family, but are really Charles Mason and Squeaky Frome. they fool alot of people. the husband is a mentally ill drug addict. I even caught him snorting the cocaine up his nose. his wife has a toddler and is pregnant with another one. What has made it more of a nightmare is the Manager who knew me well sided with them due to they are better actors than i am coupled with the baby. also the police have sided with them again better actors, baby etc.
I finally became very proactive. i called the internal affairs because a sargent refused to make report. also the neighbor upstairs stalkes me from room to room. he listens to my foot steps and can hear the t.v. if i put it on loud. i still don't know how they hear my t.v. when i can barely hear it. I use to think they had planted a tape recorder in my house. The walls are paper thin, but if feel they are also using a device that can magnify sounds. I found out by law you can take them to court and ask the judge for compensation due to the noise they make. if they are making noise you can tape them with an audio camera. go to a decibal expert and take them to court. can get money for the noise. in some cases with a lawyer you can get them thrown out. I have been trying to get out of here. it is more difficult because i own my own co op. not easy to sell in this market. the male upstairs has a record 10 yrs ago got a DWI and was speeding over 100 miles per hour. i left the article in the common hall. boy were they angry. believe me i stop getting scared and fighting back. now they are uncomfortable. still want to sell my co op,but will be difficult due to their daughter running back and forth all day. One couple a few months ago was interested in purchasing my apt. after they heard the child running andmy chandlier skaking they walked out. when the wife gives birth the baby will be crying. this will be a damper on me selling coop,but somehow i will survive. i feel we need a advocate group. there are strict laws about domestic violence. the police seem to react appropriately to D.V. situations; spouses end up in jail. how is the mentally ill/drug addict different. I feel we need to lobby for stricter laws and better police protection.

Last edited by boodelicious; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammer correction
boodelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smr View Post
sounds like a tweaker or crackhead. record it on one of those new e-camcorders. give a copy of the video to management, cops, and your other neighbors. Where do you suppose he goes in the middle of the night after he harasses you with the highbeams? probably his meth/coke dealer. catch him in the act, record the incidents and report him for suspected drug activity, every city has a police-drug tip hotline.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 90 replies and has been viewed 28937 times