Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

This is a discussion on Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes? within the Miscellaneous Topics forum, part of the OTHER LEGAL ISSUES category; Is it illegal to mail cigarettes? I am in NC where they are about $30.00 per carton and my brother ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

Is it illegal to mail cigarettes? I am in NC where they are about $30.00 per carton and my brother is in NYC where they are about $90.00 per carton. He wants me to buy cigarettes her and mail them to him. I just want to see if this is legal before I do it.
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

Interesting---We just called them and they said they were not aware of any reason why you cannot send. (they seemed perplexed by the question) But it cannot become commercial. Also Fedex and UPs may not ship into NYC. But US Post does.

Contact Information
New York City Department of Finance
Office of Tax Enforcement
345 Adams Street, 13th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Or Call 718-403-4300

Cigarette Tax Enforcement

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Mailing cigarettes New York City

With taxes so high in New York City now it really does pay to have somebody send you a carton. It reallis too much at 7.50 a pack or more!

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #4

Default re: Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

Well, it will also depend on how many you want to send and how frequently I assume.

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Well, it will also depend on how many you want to send and how frequently I assume.
How many can you ship

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #6
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

Actually, it IS illegal to ship cigarettes through the mail.

The Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act, which was signed by the President on March 31, 2010. provides that cigarettes and smokeless tobacco will become nonmailable matter effective June 29, 2010. There are some exceptions, but as a general rule, it is prohibited to send these through the mail anymore. Read here for more info: https://www.usps.com/send/tobacco-restrictions.htm

Additionally, tobacco products shipped through FedEx, DHL, or UPS are greatly restricted, and only by licensed dealers or distributors to age-verified customers to and from most states.

Sorry. Can't skirt the law anymore and ship those cheap ciggies to your friends and relatives.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Unregistered

Question, how would they find out if you didnt meet any of the exceptions, and just dropped a priority box with cigs in the bin instead of ****ing with protocol? What is the likelihood? How do they scan? Ive looked for this info everywhere but have not found anything i'd see as credible :/ HELPPP

Old May 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #8
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Question, how would they find out if you didnt meet any of the exceptions, and just dropped a priority box with cigs in the bin instead of ****ing with protocol? What is the likelihood? How do they scan? Ive looked for this info everywhere but have not found anything i'd see as credible :/ HELPPP
Nice try, but I would hate to think that any of the regular members here would make suggestions to help you break the law any more than you probably have already done.

I think you just need to accept the fact that you can't ship your cheap ciggies anymore and leave it at that. If the people insist on smoking, they need to pay the price for their choice - and that includes all those outrageous taxes which, incidentally, go towards "stop smoking" programs and health costs for those smoking-related conditions.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Unregistered

the PACT act list this as an exception to the law.

Individuals: infrequent, lightweight shipments mailed between adult
individuals

Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Also, any package weighing over 16 ounces can NOT just be dropped off in a bin. You need to hand those packages to a clerk to meet with aviation security, which also means the Postal Inspectors get a nice long camera recording of you and your face to add to your address. Its not worth it.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 44282 times