Raped in psych ward with no protection

This is a discussion on Raped in psych ward with no protection within the Medical Malpractice forum, part of the HEALTHCARE LAW & MALPRACTICE category; I was once in an adolescent psychiatric unit for depression and self harm. I was in locked side and the ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Unregistered

Thumbs Down Raped in psych ward with no protection

I was once in an adolescent psychiatric unit for depression and self harm. I was in locked side and the rule is, if there is more than one patient in locked side at any one time, there is meant to be a nurse present. I was raped anally by another patient twice with no nurse present. Luckily the second time was witnessed by a nurse who was outside having a smoke (isn't she suppose to be inside with me, protecting me?!) All I received from the hospital was a number of a rape hotline, which they would not allow me to call because I couldn't pay money for phone calls, so in the end all I got was a torn anus and depression which got worse because of it. Is there anything I can do about this to get justice? I still bleed occasionally, to this day
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Raped in psych ward with no protection

Itís really shocking, if the facts are true. It is the duty of the hospital authorities to take care the conditions of their patients. Especially in a psychiatric unit, authorities should be more careful in dealing with mental patients. Anyway the rape on you is shameful and torturing. You can send a complaint to the concerned Health department authorities in your state and also inform the police authorities.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Raped in psych ward with no protection

I called the unit to make a complaint and need to call back tomorrow morning when the supervisor is there. I've emailed a few law firms asking if they can help, all a matter of getting a reply. I know he attacked at least 2 other girls in there too. one will only come forward if i do first and the other one i am not in contact with, as i only know her first name. it was witnessed by a nurse, so if i can get her to back me up, i will... it never bothered me much before, as i had my mind busy focusing on raising my kids, but now money is tight and i cant afford to keep buying pads to soak up the blood. i just dont know who i can contact to get this seen to (the situation seen to)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
adolescent psychiatric, depression, psychiatric hospital, rape

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1859 times