WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FORUM INFORMATION > Law News > Does the ‘Rule of Law’ Even Exist in the U.S. Anymore?

Does the ‘Rule of Law’ Even Exist in the U.S. Anymore?

This is a discussion on Does the ‘Rule of Law’ Even Exist in the U.S. Anymore? within the Law News forum, part of the FORUM INFORMATION category; Writing in the USA Today, law professor Jonathan Turley wonders if our nation's laws "even matter" today. A legal system ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #1
News

Default Does the ‘Rule of Law’ Even Exist in the U.S. Anymore?

Writing in the USA Today, law professor Jonathan Turley wonders if our nation's laws "even matter" today.

A legal system cannot demand the faith and fealty of the governed when rules are seen as arbitrary and deceptive. Our leaders have led us not to an economic crisis or an immigration crisis or an environmental crisis or a civil liberties crisis. They have led us to a crisis of faith where citizens no longer believe that laws have any determinant meaning. It is politics, not the law, that appears to drive outcomes — a self-destructive trend for a nation supposedly defined by the rule of law.
– George Washington law professor Jonathan Turley, writing in Tuesday’s USA Today

Coming from a well-regarded law professor, the above is a fairly damning assessment of the nation’s legal system.

More...
WSJ Law Blog is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share