Squatters rights in Missouri

This is a discussion on Squatters rights in Missouri within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I am not sure if this is the correct place for this issue but it seems to be the closest. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Squatters rights in Missouri

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this issue but it seems to be the closest.

I have a good friend who is currently unemployed and has been staying at home to care for her parents. Her mother passed away this past summer. Her dad is not in great health. He really cannot be lefta alone. At the present time, he is in a nursing facilty, recovering from a fall. Some of her siblings do not think their dad will ever come home. My friend has not worked for over two years. She is really worried about what will happen when her dad passes away. Since she is living with her dad, what are her rights after he is gone, which we hope is not for a while. Can her siblings force her out of the home right of way or does she have the right to live there for a while til she can get a job and find a place on her own? They live in the state of MO. What are her squatters rights? She has been there to take care of them since losing her job. She has taken them to dr. appts., helped het him dressed, fixed their meals, made sure he takes his meds, shops for him ect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lexi
Lexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Top Level Member
OHlandlord's Flag is: United States

Default re: Squatters rights in Missouri

Since she has lived in the home for a while she has established occupancy at that address and has gained some rights there. Once the father passes, the house would go either into probabte to go through the will and see who would inherit the house, or it could already be assigned (titled) to another family member (with the right for your father to stay there for his life). Does she know how the title to the house is held and if he has a will? If the house already is titled into another family member's name with a life tenancy for her father, at death it will become the property of that family member. The new owner could give her a short period to move out (probably 30 days to vacate). If it has to go through probate, it will take longer to settle the estate. The house may have to be sold to divide up the proceeds between several siblings.

Additionally, and off topic for this forum, she could get a home health aide into the house a few times per week to help with her father's care when he returns home. She should call a senior center and ask who assigns these in your area (it could be the health department, a department for the elderly, family services, a local hospital, etc.) She could also contact Social Security and ask if it would be covered by their insurance.
OHlandlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 2474 times