No Internet service - The lease specifies free Internet

This is a discussion on No Internet service - The lease specifies free Internet within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I'm living in a rented house that the lease specifies free internet but it only works about 10% of the ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default No Internet service - The lease specifies free Internet

I'm living in a rented house that the lease specifies free internet but it only works about 10% of the time at best. There are long gaps when it doesn't work at all. He continuesly promises to fix it but it never improves. First what would be an appropriate ammount to ask for in return for dealing with this since its not included in the utilities but in my opinion its part of the reason I moved in (having internet). And whats the legal basis to stand on if this does go to court is there any since its free?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Top Level Member
OHlandlord's Flag is: United States

Default re: No Internet service - The lease specifies free Internet

A few questions:
You state that it is included in the lease but it is not included in your utilities??? Is the internet free to just you (as in he's providing it) or free to anyone who can pick it up (as in picking up on a nearby internet cafe's signal)? Is this free internet listed as being provided to you in your lease? If it is not, you have nothing to dispute. Verbal promises will not stand up in court. If it is not included in your lease, you have no record of a promise to even provide it. If it is included in your lease, that brings me to the next question:

Why is the internet not working? Is it something the LL is doing? A problem with the internet provider? You need to know the reason it won't work most of the time. If it is a problem within the LL's control, you may have cause to take this complaint farther. If it is a problem with the internet provider, you have no case against the LL, but against the internet provider. The LL cannot control problems with the provider network. Perhaps it is interference with something in the building or in another unit? Find out why it isn"t working so you will know if you can go farther.

If you were to ask for compensation for this nuisance, you could only get it if it is listed as being provided free of charge to you in the lease AND if the problem is within the LL's contol. If this is the case, you could ask for 90% of the monthly cost of the cheapest comparable internet services to be deducted from the rent level. If it is dial up, you could get about $9 a month since dial up service is available for about $10 per month, if high speed you would ask for 90% of the cost of that in your area (which would be about $27 here). I would start keeping a log of when it works and when it does not work to be able to prove later (in court if necessary) the problem you are having with it.

For now, why don't you send a nicely written letter asking the LL to fix the internet problem. Ask him to contact you within a week to let you know when they wil fix this. Send the letter to him by certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep a copy. This will also be important if it goes to court. This will prove you made the repair request, that the LL recieved it, and that you requested to be contacted about when it would be fixed. Keep us posted.
OHlandlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1299 times