Serve Court Papers to LL

This is a discussion on Serve Court Papers to LL within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; My boyfriend and I have currently (1 month) ago filed a small claim with the small claim's court against our ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1

Confused Serve Court Papers to LL

My boyfriend and I have currently (1 month) ago filed a small claim with the small claim's court against our old LL. Due to him living in a different county and us not being able to serve the papers ourselves, we decided to pay the fee and have the Sheriff’s office in his county (LA County) serve him the papers. When we talked to the court where we filed the claim (Irvine) two weeks ago their records showed that the Sheriff’s office has not had luck in serving the LL yet. Our question is, if we have done our part in filing the claim, paying the fee's and then show up to court on our assigned date and the LL does not show, what happens?

Background: We filed the claim in Irvine, CA because the property we rented from the LL is located in Irvine, CA.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
FlowerGirlShari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Top Level Member
OHlandlord's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Serve Court Papers to LL

Check with the clerk of courts in the county where the property is located for alternate forms of service. Some areas allow a private process server (someone dressed as a pizza delivery boy usually gets them to open the door), notification by regular or certified mail, or notification by publication in the local paper for a number of weeks. Call and ask. If the court determines that the LL was properly notified according to the laws of that area, and the LL does not show up for court, you normally will win by default.
OHlandlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Serve Court Papers to LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlShari View Post
My boyfriend and I have currently (1 month) ago filed a small claim with the small claim's court against our old LL. Due to him living in a different county and us not being able to serve the papers ourselves, we decided to pay the fee and have the Sheriff’s office in his county (LA County) serve him the papers. When we talked to the court where we filed the claim (Irvine) two weeks ago their records showed that the Sheriff’s office has not had luck in serving the LL yet. Our question is, if we have done our part in filing the claim, paying the fee's and then show up to court on our assigned date and the LL does not show, what happens?

Background: We filed the claim in Irvine, CA because the property we rented from the LL is located in Irvine, CA.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
CALL THE SHERIFF DEPT AND ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE SERVED THE PAPERS YET do this one time every morning. they will get to it. also, if that landlord has a " cell phone number " give it to the sheriff along with the landlord home number, because the sheriff CAN call and find out where the person is going to be when and go serve them.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1498 times