life estate when life tenant abandons the property

This is a discussion on life estate when life tenant abandons the property within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; If a life tenant abandons the property, after so long do they lose there life estate, and exactly how long ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1

Default life estate when life tenant abandons the property

If a life tenant abandons the property, after so long do they lose there life estate, and exactly how long would it be before you could take action if your the owner?
theeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Top Level Member
randalljd's Flag is: United States

Default re: life estate when life tenant abandons the property

If you can show a court they have abandoned it, a court will rule it finished even now.
randalljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Top Level Member
OHlandlord's Flag is: United States

Default re: life estate when life tenant abandons the property

This depends on the state. Some states have statutes that address abandoned property and those states recognize abandonment according to the regulations and rules set forth in the statute. You must follow the procedures in the statute to officially declare the place abandoned. Other states do not recognize abandonment and have no written definition of it. In those states your best course of action is to file an official eviction case against the abandoning tenant to return possession to you. Check your state laws for a section or statute on abandonment of property.
OHlandlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2829 times