WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues > Can I sue my landlord for harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distress?

Can I sue my landlord for harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distress?

This is a discussion on Can I sue my landlord for harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distress? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; On March 8,2013 I received a 14 day notice to pay rent. Before that happened I got mugged on the ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Maeve1010's Flag is: Ireland

Confused Can I sue my landlord for harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distress?

On March 8,2013 I received a 14 day notice to pay rent. Before that happened I got mugged on the street next to the house I am renting. I notified my landlord and he was verbally abusive to me and laughed at me. He wanted me to leave immediately. He then issued me 14 days to pay the rent. When I received it, I called him and asked if he would keep the full deposit in order to cover March rent. He agreed and I heard nothing else from him. I was due to leave on April 6,2013 because he has been harassing me constantly since I moved in and has been making threats to call the guards for absolutely no reason at all. Before April 6th came, I notified him that I could not move out because I lost 1400 euros to a potential landlord. I was set up to move out and then a potential landlord ran off with my deposit and first months rent. I am in the process of getting that back. Then my landlord screamed and cursed at me on the phone and said I had 3 days to leave. He issued me a notice on April 5th and expected me and my child to leave on Aril 8th. I told him that I will pay him the full rent for April upon me leaving on May 17,2013. The reason for that date is that upon receipt of the notice to leave on April 5, he should allow me 14 days to pay the rent. Then on April 19th if the rent is still unpaid then I should receive 28 days notice. That then falls on May 17,2013. He has done none of that.

I also want to mention that I have been put through so much mental stress by him. I have endured his threats, screaming and cursing. He tried also on 2 occasions to get in the house without notifying me. When I cancelled on time for him to come over to collect his things in the back room, he yelled at me and said he would have the guards down to arrest me. He kept all his belongings in the house for 3 months and the side of the house still has his childrens things there. He also has his mail and his wifes mail coming to the house and they come to the door without notice all the time. I have been very cooperative with him but I did lose my temper last week when he sent a letter from his solicitor.

He has refused to fix the house alarm which is faulty and goes off all the time. I don't know whether someone is breaking in or just going off. My daughter and I are very scared to be here. But I have no other choice but to remain here until May 17,2013. I would leave sooner but he has threatened me that he would lie to anyone and say I left illegally and will try to get me to pay all sorts of large sums of money.

He only gave me 28 days notice on April 5,2013 and wanted me to vacate on April 8,2013. He said that the 14 days notice on March 8,2013 still stood. It does not because he verbally agreed to keep the deposit for March rent. If it was valid, he should have given me 28 days notice after the 14 days were up. He NEVER did.

My landlord contacted his solicitor and tried to make me leave in only 3 days.
Also, he is and never has been registered with the PRTB. He told me though that he filed a dispute yesterday, April 15,2013.
Someone PLEASE help me because I cant take anymore, Please!He also told me in an email that he would have the guards arrest me for trespassing if I don't vacate by May 7,2103. I was told he cant take the law into his own hands..??
Maeve1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I sue my landlord for harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distr

I wish to inform you that you may reply to the notice of the landlord stating that verbal agreements are valid agreements and the landlord had extended the tenancy, thereby, the first notice served in March lapsed. You may state about the harassment meted out to you. You may also inform that if the matter is not resolved then you may file a complaint with the PRTB. If the matter is not resolved, then you may pay the fees of €25 and start the complaint process in the PRTB.

AFF
AFFA is online now   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #3
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can I sue my landlord for harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve1010 View Post
On March 8,2013 I received a 14 day notice to pay rent. Before that happened I got mugged on the street next to the house I am renting. I notified my landlord and he was verbally abusive to me and laughed at me. He wanted me to leave immediately. He then issued me 14 days to pay the rent. When I received it, I called him and asked if he would keep the full deposit in order to cover March rent. He agreed and I heard nothing else from him. I was due to leave on April 6,2013 because he has been harassing me constantly since I moved in and has been making threats to call the guards for absolutely no reason at all. Before April 6th came, I notified him that I could not move out because I lost 1400 euros to a potential landlord. I was set up to move out and then a potential landlord ran off with my deposit and first months rent. I am in the process of getting that back. Then my landlord screamed and cursed at me on the phone and said I had 3 days to leave. He issued me a notice on April 5th and expected me and my child to leave on Aril 8th. I told him that I will pay him the full rent for April upon me leaving on May 17,2013. The reason for that date is that upon receipt of the notice to leave on April 5, he should allow me 14 days to pay the rent. Then on April 19th if the rent is still unpaid then I should receive 28 days notice. That then falls on May 17,2013. He has done none of that.

I also want to mention that I have been put through so much mental stress by him. I have endured his threats, screaming and cursing. He tried also on 2 occasions to get in the house without notifying me. When I cancelled on time for him to come over to collect his things in the back room, he yelled at me and said he would have the guards down to arrest me. He kept all his belongings in the house for 3 months and the side of the house still has his childrens things there. He also has his mail and his wifes mail coming to the house and they come to the door without notice all the time. I have been very cooperative with him but I did lose my temper last week when he sent a letter from his solicitor.

He has refused to fix the house alarm which is faulty and goes off all the time. I don't know whether someone is breaking in or just going off. My daughter and I are very scared to be here. But I have no other choice but to remain here until May 17,2013. I would leave sooner but he has threatened me that he would lie to anyone and say I left illegally and will try to get me to pay all sorts of large sums of money.

He only gave me 28 days notice on April 5,2013 and wanted me to vacate on April 8,2013. He said that the 14 days notice on March 8,2013 still stood. It does not because he verbally agreed to keep the deposit for March rent. If it was valid, he should have given me 28 days notice after the 14 days were up. He NEVER did.

My landlord contacted his solicitor and tried to make me leave in only 3 days.
Also, he is and never has been registered with the PRTB. He told me though that he filed a dispute yesterday, April 15,2013.
Someone PLEASE help me because I cant take anymore, Please!He also told me in an email that he would have the guards arrest me for trespassing if I don't vacate by May 7,2103. I was told he cant take the law into his own hands..??
You already seem to know what the law says with regard to everything your LL is claiming he can do, will do, and intends to do. I suggest that you stop listening to what you know to be untruths and just do what you need to do.

If the LL persists, then you should contact a solicitor and ask for an order preventing any illegal attempts to oust you without court approval.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Maeve1010's Flag is: Ireland

Thank you Very much for your help. One last thing though, do you think I can sue him? Thank you in advance.
Maeve1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Unregistered

Obviously the landlord is making your life h3ll. Why would you want to work the system to stay any longer or whatever (didn't read your blocks of text) is beyond me. Get out and get out asap. In the USA, we can file a suit for stuff, but that doesn't meant that it will happen. Anyone can cry and point a finger about harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distress, but they are very difficult to prove.

FWIW, you'd be wasting your money on a law suit that is unlikely to get you the results you want.

Think of it this way.... "Waaaaaah, my boss told me I was slow (verbal abuse) and asked me to work faster (mental distress because he's stressing me out) and if I don't, then I won't be made a permanent employee (he's intimidating me by his words! and it's abuse that he is threatening me and harassing me about working faster or I'll be terminated from this job)"

Kinda see what I mean?

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Top Level Member

Gather evidence proving the landlord did not evict you for a lawful reason or in a proper manner. This can include eyewitness accounts, complaints to local housing authorities, police reports and documentation of your landlord's actions. Contact a lawyer or local housing authority if you need assistance in filing the lawsuit. The suit is filed in small claims court in most cases and the Clerk of Courts has all the necessary paperwork. The specific process varies from court to court and state to state, but generally you fill out a complaint form specifying the nature of the case, a summons form to serve the landlord with the lawsuit and enter in any documentation supporting your wrongful eviction claim. Go to the court hearing on the specified date. You will get awarded a money judgment for damages and court costs if the landlord does not show up. If he does show up, you or your legal representative will have to argue your case in court. If a settlement is reached, the case is closed and does not go to trial unless the settlement's terms are violated.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Unregistered

I have had similar problems. My landlord is famous and his girlfriend is a maniac that will document everything and twist anything you say and try to put words in your mouth. I work two jobs and it has been very hard to keep on top of everything they have done to me. When I moved in I signed a tight lease and agreed to not have anyone living with me without their permission. Fine, I do not want anyone living with me, but soon after I moved in my son's father died and he was left homeless before he even had first job. During the time that he was in and out of my home sometimes gone for two weeks at a time trying to find a place to live with a friend, then another friend my landlord would call me a liar, slammed my front door, call me a thief, accused me of smoking pot, come up to my front door and holler in my home who is there, i know you are here who's here, spy into my back yard with the express purpose of spying not looking at the sun set but to spy and I have a recording of it. I was promised a a dog door, my dog got very sick because of the heat I had a large vet bill becsue of it, I never had an oven that worked for 5 months. I finally did break the lease and my son had no choice to move in with me, I tried to contact them and tell them that I needed to speak with them and they said that we would do it later. Later was a week later and by then I broke the lease. I asked them to please help me and I just want to fix this issue. They gave me a 10 day notice, but then gave me a demand just 9 days later. The 10 day said that I had to first remedy the first issue and get him out of my house, then set up an appointment to interview with them then they might approve him. After everything I have been trough with them I did not think that they would ever approve him and then I would just be on the same rollercoaster ride. I have been woken up at 2 am, I have been called a ******. So far I have 10 typed pages of issues. I now have an eviction and live in a roach infested apartment that I had to jump at because I had only 5 days to move.

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member
gail in georgia's Flag is: United States

Is there a legal question in the midst of this rant?

Gail
gail in georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Obviously the landlord is making your life h3ll. Why would you want to work the system to stay any longer or whatever (didn't read your blocks of text) is beyond me. Get out and get out asap. In the USA, we can file a suit for stuff, but that doesn't meant that it will happen. Anyone can cry and point a finger about harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation and mental distress, but they are very difficult to prove.

FWIW, you'd be wasting your money on a law suit that is unlikely to get you the results you want.

Think of it this way.... "Waaaaaah, my boss told me I was slow (verbal abuse) and asked me to work faster (mental distress because he's stressing me out) and if I don't, then I won't be made a permanent employee (he's intimidating me by his words! and it's abuse that he is threatening me and harassing me about working faster or I'll be terminated from this job)"

Kinda see what I mean?

This comment is absolutely ridiculous, I did not know ignorant children were allowed to comment! Just because harassment in any form is hard to prove does not meant is not worth reporting. These people are taking extreme advantage and they need to be stopped, not all people are afraid morons, some of us are willing to stand up for our rights now matter how hard they are to prove. People take advantage of others and you should punish them how hit until you see fit( I.e. Reporting the problem, telling someone etc.) this idiot thinks being a supreme pansy solves problems but unfortunately it doesn't. I would be ashamed to be such a pansy when it came to sticking up for myself, how about next time you keep your ridiculous scared and nancy ideals to yourself. I am sorry your mother taught you to forfeit when things got hard but all of us are not that stupid.

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail in georgia View Post
Is there a legal question in the midst of this rant?

Gail
Way to help out your fellow man Gail? I could just rant dumb things like Gail is a terrible name and most people named that are nimrods. How dare you? Don't get on this forum unless you have something to contribute. Why the hell are you in this forum if it does not pertain to you? Get a life idiot, pump out kids because that is what ignorant morons like you do and shut up and leave the rest of us to deal with the big problems. Shut up Gail

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 6919 times