Los Angeles, CA - Rent Control - Re-Carpet/Re-Paint question

This is a discussion on Los Angeles, CA - Rent Control - Re-Carpet/Re-Paint question within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; Hello there. I have a question I was hoping to be answered by knowledgeable people. My question: Is my landlord ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1
mmoshlak's Flag is: United States

Lightbulb Los Angeles, CA - Rent Control - Re-Carpet/Re-Paint question

Hello there. I have a question I was hoping to be answered by knowledgeable people.

My question: Is my landlord obligated to replace my carpet and paint at no charge to me?

The situation: I've been in my apartment, which is within city limits of Los Angeles for 12.3 years. The carpeting and paint job is the same from when I moved in. The building is under rent control.

What I'm planning: I'm planning on putting in laminate and porcelain flooring (Kitchen, hall, bathroom, and dining area should never have laminate flooring) and having it painted. The landlord said there's no rule or obligation under rent control, or with the city to re-paint and re-carpet the place, only replace damaged carpet pieces through wear and tear, and paint areas from damage caused building issues.

What she said: The landlord said that she would talk with the management company, and ask to go half on the replacement and painting.

What I would like: I was looking at paying for all the materials for the laminate and porcelain flooring. I was going to ask them to pay for the labor, and ask them to re-paint at no charge.

Could someone please tell me where I legally stand with this, because I've heard everything from they must replace and paint every 5 years to they owe me nothing. I'd like to know what my true options are, so I'm armed with knowledge to negotiate.
mmoshlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Los Angeles, CA - Rent Control - Re-Carpet/Re-Paint question

I wish to inform you that the landlord is responsible for painting the interior of the rental unit at reasonable
intervals. Further, the tenant is not required as a condition of tenancy to paint the premises. The tenant may paint or repair where the work is necessary because of damages for which the tenant is responsible. The law provides that landlord must maintain premises in a habitable condition. As regards carpet, the landlord is not expected to clean carpets during a tenancy. However, you may request the landlord to replace the carpet claiming that it has finished its useful life.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3
mmoshlak's Flag is: United States

Hello AFFA,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. By chance do you know where I can find this information, so I can present it to my landlord? I'd like to have it in hand, so when I talk with her I have back up. Otherwise I won't have much to go on.
mmoshlak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Unregistered

The way I understand things is that a carpet life is only about 7 to 10 years and then, WHEN THE TENANT MOVES OUT, it is replaced...maybe. Re-painting doesn't have to happen at all until the TENANT MOVES OUT, IF the landlord wants to do it.

Do some homework and read the Nolo Publication book about Landlord Rights and Responsibilities.

You can also find more stuff here related to CA. Being in a rent-controlled area might be a bit different though.

Do the www stuff, then dca (dot) ca (dot) gov (slash like this /) publications (another slash like this /) then type in the word "landlord"--oh, and remove all the spaces to get to the website, or do a google search for CA Dept of Consumer Affairs, and go on from there.

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Unregistered

Your landlord is right. They are only reponsible to keep the unit habitable. Rent control has a few unintended consequences. One is that a owner treats tenants that are paying lower rent poorer then the newer higher rent paying residents. I know it is not fair to you, but a la ndlord is in business to make money. If your rent is too low things like this happen. In the last few years rents hsve dropped look around and you msy find a better aptartmant for less. If that is the case and you explain to the owner that you might leave if they do not o ay for the upgrade, the owner might agree to pay for the full cost. Tjings are more I favor of residents more then ever.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3460 times