How long does eviction take in Florida?

This is a discussion on How long does eviction take in Florida? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I was served with eviction in July, I was paying my rent, which I had checks to prove I was ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #1
angb1979's Flag is: United States

Confused How long does eviction take in Florida?

I was served with eviction in July, I was paying my rent, which I had checks to prove I was paying. Well I was wondering why I was being evicted and the landlord says I havent paid rent since March 2012. I have my returned checks to prove I paid. Well i fought it in court and it was dismissed in my favor, only to find out the lady renting me the house is not the legal owner. Well she came by two weeks ago and gave me another 3 day notice told me I will be out this time and now she says shes the property manager. The papers I recieved said I had 20 days to respond then I got papers for 5 days to respond. I didnt get a chance to respond due to alot of health issues and now I got a paper today for final judgement eviction. Do you know if i still have a chance to fight it and what was the 20 days for? I was still thinking I had 20 days since I recieved the 20 day first. Also do you know about how long I will have now to move? I still want to fight it but think I missed my chance. So I am trying to figure out if i can file a order to show cause and bring in my reciepts to show the judge or if its too late. Thankyou.
angb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #2
angb1979's Flag is: United States

Default Re: How long does eviction take in Florida?

Also, the first eviction she said I have not paid since march 25, 2012, and now the second says I have not paid since March 1 2012. I have all my documentation to prove I have paid I just missed my 5 days. I also found out the real owner lives in New York, will the legal owner have to evict me or can this so called property manager???
angb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: How long does eviction take in Florida?

Eviction can be as quick as 9 to 10 days to as long as five or six months, the latter if one has good defenses and knows enough of the law and system to work it.

First a 3-day notice to pay rent or vacate has to be served, then if one does not pay, the landlord must file suit, the tenant given opportunity to respond, a hearing set and then the decision -- if for the landlord then the order of eviction goes to the sheriff to serve and one then has 24 hours to vacate.

Much depends upon the county, but figure 9 to 10 days at the earliest is the usual.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Unregistered

Florida has no laws to protect anyone whom rents and does the right thing by law I have found even trying to buy a home here is an act of God compared to up north look for a place to live asap unless u have attorney and know state law which is s joke if pay your rent and show up to court with all your paper work you can still lose why you don't know the laws and that would be your undoing

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 6697 times