Landlord gives unfair bad reference

This is a discussion on Landlord gives unfair bad reference within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; Hello. I am in the process of relocating and need to find a home for my girlfriend and I. Our ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
carloserecinos's Flag is: United States

Default Landlord gives unfair bad reference

Hello.

I am in the process of relocating and need to find a home for my girlfriend and I.
Our current lease states that dogs are not allowed in the property. My girlfriend and I adopted a stray dog and were asked to get rid of him or find another place to live. We were going to move anyway so we gave our 30 day notice.

We were very good tenants. I say this with confidence since we raised the property value by establishing an organic garden (which is in very good shape and appeals to future tenants), and we have taken very good care of the house inside and out.
Our landlord has expressed to us that, when contacted by potential landlords, she will state that she would not rent to us again.

This seems unfair to me. She claims that we broke the lease agreement by allowing a dog to live in the property. I understand that we broke the lease but I don't understand why she would give us such bad reference.

Is there a competent authority we can contact to mediate this issue?

What is the best thing for us to do to make sure that her reference is fairer?

Thank you.

Carlos
carloserecinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Landlord gives unfair bad reference

Landlords and tenants often settle disputes by mediation, using a neutral third party to help disputing parties settle their differences. Locate a mediation service by consulting the yellow pages of your phone directory or by contacting community housing authorities in your area. Explain your problem to the mediation service and inquire about fees for a mediation session.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

You had a lease. It said no dogs. You got a dog. It's a no-brainer.

Not everyone would appreciate the garden either. If not maintained it will go to weed. Much worse then just grass or ground cover.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloserecinos View Post
Hello.

I am in the process of relocating and need to find a home for my girlfriend and I.
Our current lease states that dogs are not allowed in the property. My girlfriend and I adopted a stray dog and were asked to get rid of him or find another place to live. We were going to move anyway so we gave our 30 day notice.

We were very good tenants. I say this with confidence since we raised the property value by establishing an organic garden (which is in very good shape and appeals to future tenants), and we have taken very good care of the house inside and out.
Our landlord has expressed to us that, when contacted by potential landlords, she will state that she would not rent to us again.

This seems unfair to me. She claims that we broke the lease agreement by allowing a dog to live in the property. I understand that we broke the lease but I don't understand why she would give us such bad reference.

Is there a competent authority we can contact to mediate this issue?

What is the best thing for us to do to make sure that her reference is fairer?

Thank you.

Carlos
You clearly breached your lease by bringing the dog home. It doesn't matter whether it was temporary or not. Dogs can do a lot of damage in a short period of time, especially if they are not properly trained (housebroken and/or their behavior is such that they are not used to being inside a house for longer periods of time).

It also doesn't matter whether you feel her assessment is fair. She told you no dogs, the lease said no dogs, and you defied both her wishes and the lease terms by violating that part of your lease agreement. Quite simply, you disrespected her and her rules. If I had a tenant who did that, I probably wouldn't give them a positive recommendation, either.

All you can do in this situation is to explain to potential future LLs the full details of the situation and hope that they see things as you do. You cannot force a LL to provide you with a good recommendation if they just don't feel that it's warranted.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
landlord, reference

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1268 times