Notice To Quit -- What are the legal ramifications for leaving?

This is a discussion on Notice To Quit -- What are the legal ramifications for leaving? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I just received a notice to quit letter that was left on my door today. The reason is due to ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1
michele926's Flag is: United States

Default Notice To Quit -- What are the legal ramifications for leaving?

I just received a notice to quit letter that was left on my door today. The reason is due to the fact that I have an unauthorized occupant living with me. I have tried to remedy the situation but the property manager refuses to add him onto the lease because he has bad credit. The rent has been paid on time and in full every month and we do not have a single compliant against us. We are quiet and clean tenants. I'm eight months pregnant and do not want to go through the eviction process because I may go into labor during the eviction process. My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving in the three day period management has allotted. What are the legal ramifications for leaving? Although they broke our lease, do i owe them anything? I just paid them for August's rent on the 1st so I am fully paid through August 31st.
michele926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Notice To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele926 View Post
I just received a notice to quit letter that was left on my door today. The reason is due to the fact that I have an unauthorized occupant living with me. I have tried to remedy the situation but the property manager refuses to add him onto the lease because he has bad credit. The rent has been paid on time and in full every month and we do not have a single compliant against us. We are quiet and clean tenants. I'm eight months pregnant and do not want to go through the eviction process because I may go into labor during the eviction process. My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving in the three day period management has allotted. What are the legal ramifications for leaving? Although they broke our lease, do i owe them anything? I just paid them for August's rent on the 1st so I am fully paid through August 31st.
The notice to quit gives you your choices - you can stay, and face almost certain eviction due to the unauthorized occupant, or you can leave before the 3 days is up and be on your way.

Most notices to quit include a statement to the effect that they elect to terminate the tenancy. That will protect you from being held liable under your lease.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Notice To Quit -- What are the legal ramifications for leaving?

By moving someone else in when your rental contract called for only one person (you) to occupy the premises, the landlord did not break the rental agreement. You did.

Your choice is either to leave or move your boyfriend out.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
lease, notice, quit, ramification, termination

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 771 times