Landlord is taking me to court for theft -- Maryland

This is a discussion on Landlord is taking me to court for theft -- Maryland within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I rented a house from a landlord in howard county md. He left a tv and a desk behind in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
vanders's Flag is: United States

Default Landlord is taking me to court for theft -- Maryland

I rented a house from a landlord in howard county md. He left a tv and a desk behind in the house, told me I could have it, now he trying to take me to court for theft. I lived in the house for 3 months, I had a one year lease. What should I do because now its a legal matter?
vanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Landlord is taking me to court for theft -- Maryland

I wish to inform you could not be charged with theft. In this regard you can argue that there was no theft. The fact that you were allowed to use tv and desk can be confirmed from the fact that for three month you are using but there is no objection from landlord. Further copy of any communication exchanged with landlord whereby you were allowed can also be presented to court as well as law enforcement agencies.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #3
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanders View Post
I rented a house from a landlord in howard county md. He left a tv and a desk behind in the house, told me I could have it, now he trying to take me to court for theft. I lived in the house for 3 months, I had a one year lease. What should I do because now its a legal matter?
Unless your LL gave you something IN WRITING to prove that he gave you the items, they very well could take you to court for stealing them.

You had a one-year lease. Why were you there only three months? Did you break your lease, or were you asked to leave or evicted?

Is it possible that keeping the TV and desk were contingent upon you staying for the full year and when you moved out early, the LL changed their mind? That sounds pretty logical to me, especially if the LL was out rent money from the broken lease. And, again, if there was nothing IN WRITING that gave you ownership of the items, the LL could very easily change their mind and turn around and accuse you of theft for taking the items - which it sounds like he did.

If/when this gets to court, I'll bet that the LL denies ever having given you the items at all.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Should I assume you are no longer a tenant there? Making that assumption, that you lived there for 3 months then broke your lease, the court may (or may not) find that you indeed stole the TV and desk.

Do you still have the TV and desk or did you sell them or dispose of them?

When the LL said you could "have them" was the intent that you could have them to use? Without something in writing, you could indeed be facing theft charges in addition to breaking your lease problems.

Perhaps you should consider making a cash settlement for the items (be sure you get a receipt, and really, pay be check if possible), based on their current value. At least you'd be off the hook for that, and it would save you some money in terms of going to court, legal fees, travel time, time off from work if you work, etc etc.

Old Dec 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #5
vanders's Flag is: United States

I still have the tv in my storage unit. They never asked for it back. The desk was disposed of during my tenancy. I don't have a problem giving the tv back because I don't need it.
vanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 14th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #6
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
I still have the tv in my storage unit. They never asked for it back. The desk was disposed of during my tenancy. I don't have a problem giving the tv back because I don't need it.
Then expect to return the TV, and end up with a judgment against you for the desk you disposed of.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1427 times