mail in mailbox (trailer park)

This is a discussion on mail in mailbox (trailer park) within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; OREGON: I live in a trailer park and the manage of the trailer park goes to the mail box and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1
mrsjbm's Flag is: United States

Default mail in mailbox (trailer park)

OREGON: I live in a trailer park and the manage of the trailer park goes to the mail box and grabs every ones mail and delivers it to all the trailers if we aren't home she sticks the mail on the door frame (where ever it fits) can she legally do this? There are no mail box keys, it is just a standard mail box that all 20 tents use. There a quite a few of us that does not want her to touch our mail. Please Help

Lori
mrsjbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #2
R U Kidding Me?

Default re: mail in mailbox (trailer park)

Since there is only ONE mailbox, what would you have the woman do? Have the tenants come to her place at all hours, inconveniencing her?

Perhaps there is some reason that a bunch of mailboxes cannot be placed on the property for each tenant to have access to their own mailbox.

Your solution: get a P.O. Box.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Default Re: mail in mailbox (trailer park)

I am sorry maybe I did make things clear. the mail boxes are on the road closer to my place than hers. Your right, I should get a p.o box. with no car and a long haul to the post office. It is more convenient to have my mail delivered to my residence.

Old Sep 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4
R U Kidding Me?

Hi, Lori,

I didn't understand the placement of the mailboxes. Sorry about that.

Well, depending on what kind of mailboxes, you may want to put a lock on yours or be sure you're the first one there to get your mail after the postal carrier puts your mail in your mailbox. Even if there is no way to put on a lock, you may want to get the okay (I'm guessing the woman owns the mailboxes?) to drill a couple of holes and use one of those short-types of plastic-coated wire with a lock, kinda like a bicycle lock or a computer lock.

I believe it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to remove mail from a mailbox that is not your own. Yeah, like that's likely to stop her, but you could bring it to her attention.

You may have noticed some mail you were expecting is missing, perhaps a check or money order from someone? That would give you the reasonable option of locking the mailbox.

Bottom line is that you cannot control what she will do. She sounds bored and this "mail delivery to tenants" may be the highlight of her day.

HTH

Old Sep 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjbm View Post
OREGON: I live in a trailer park and the manage of the trailer park goes to the mail box and grabs every ones mail and delivers it to all the trailers if we aren't home she sticks the mail on the door frame (where ever it fits) can she legally do this? There are no mail box keys, it is just a standard mail box that all 20 tents use. There a quite a few of us that does not want her to touch our mail. Please Help

Lori
Do you have access to that mailbox? In other words, did the landlord provide you with a key to the box she herself is getting the mail from?

Exactly how is the mailed addressed to you? Does it say Lori (Last Name) c/o Landlord mailbox/road address, Anytown USA, or is it worded differently?

This matters when providing an answer.

If she has provided you with a key, you are the only person authorized to retrieve your mail. If she is handling your mail without your knowledge, consent or authorization, she's setting herself up for several federal criminal violations.

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Have you considered placing a mailbox on your lot and having the mail delivered directly to you instead of being placed in a common box? That will require your having a unique address, e.g. 123 Any Street, Lot 15. I would speak with your local postoffice and see if they can help you arrange a more satisfactory way of getting your mail. Only if she opens or destroys your mail would she be violating federal law, though. If checks and such other valuable mail is being received, sticking on doors is certainly reckless handling of mail.

The easiest solution is to have a mailbox set up like they do for apartment houses -- with each lot having its own box. Perhaps the post office manager can "encourage" her to provide one.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Unregistered

to Friend in court--she lives in a trailer park. Depending on how big that is, and that the mailboxes are by the road, it would be a problem for the postal carrier to deliver mail to each and every personal mailbox in front of a person's trailer. In many apartment buildings, there is a central place for mailboxes, so the postal carrier doesn't have to go to each and every apartment to deliver mail. That would be a colossal waste of post office time, and not very expedient either.

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
Have you considered placing a mailbox on your lot and having the mail delivered directly to you instead of being placed in a common box? That will require your having a unique address, e.g. 123 Any Street, Lot 15. I would speak with your local postoffice and see if they can help you arrange a more satisfactory way of getting your mail. Only if she opens or destroys your mail would she be violating federal law, though. If checks and such other valuable mail is being received, sticking on doors is certainly reckless handling of mail.

The easiest solution is to have a mailbox set up like they do for apartment houses -- with each lot having its own box. Perhaps the post office manager can "encourage" her to provide one.
This isn't the usual when dealing with mobile home parks.

The simplest solution is to speak with the landlord, advise her of how it's illegal to touch another person's mail from the receptacle unless specifically authorized by the tenant and on file with the post office, and be done with it. If the landlord has a problem with that, she can face the legal consequences of her actions.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #9

Thank you for your advise. I did not know that getting my own mail box was option. I will look in to getting one.

Lori

Last edited by mrsjbm; Sep 12th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #10

Yes i have access to the mail box. there is only one standard mail box for the whole trailer park (you know the kind you can buy at any hardware store). My mail that I receive is addressed to me Lori (Last Name) road address, Anytown USA. There are no keys to the mail box. I have found pieces of my mail under my trailer. In the past.

Thank You

Lori

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2765 times