Help! roommate from hell wont break lease

This is a discussion on Help! roommate from hell wont break lease within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; hello, i was friends with my roommate for 5 years we decided to move in together. since then its been ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1
chula58's Flag is: United States

Angry Help! roommate from hell wont break lease

hello, i was friends with my roommate for 5 years we decided to move in together. since then its been awful. we disagree on everthing. i tried to discuss compromising with things i dont agree with in household (company length of stay, cleaning, property). it has come to the point where we dont speak and she has no respect for me. my table was damage a weekend i was gone and when i asked her about it, she said she knew nothing and responds immaturely with smart comments. I know she damaged my table as she is the only one who was there. I tried to set date to speak with her regarding table and she wants it on her time. the way she speaks to me, her childish comments is horrible. i cannot live with someone who does not respect me. I am planning on looking into legal advice to break lease. I asked her to break lease and she said no she cannot break lease, she is currently unemployed and says she wont have anywhere to go. i looked into getting roomate to take my spot, no replys. we have 6 months left on lease. i cannot afford to move to another complex and pay rent there. What can I do? I have become mentally stressed living with her and her ways and its become unbearable for me. Help!! If i go to court do i have a case??
chula58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Help! roommate from hell wont break lease

I wish to inform you that your agreement will determine your rights and liabilities. In this, you may terminate lease as per provisions of your agreement. If there is no termination clause then you may be held liable for the amount of loss because of early termination of lease agreement. As you intend to leave early, therefore, you can be made liable for loss arising for early termination. If new tenant comes then you cannot be held liable as there is no loss. In this, it is the duty of your landlord to mitigate his losses.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #3
R U Kidding Me?

So what if she is currently unemployed and says she wont have anywhere to go. Boo hoo, cry me a river.

I doubt you'd be able to take her to court. What would be the "charge" you'd make against her?

Is it possible for you to maybe talk with the LL about breaking the lease, (FIRST make *SURE* the lease does NOT say you are jointly and severally responsible), and say, getting out at the end of September but paying the LL your part of the rent for October? You never know...money talks.

You might also see if you can get someone else to take over the lease and offer to pay the first month's rent for them--the day they sign the lease that gets you legally off the hook is when you'd pay the rent for the tenant you got in there.

If the lease states you are jointly and severally responsible, then it seems that you're stuck. However, if your roommate goes all Rambo on you and assaults or batters you, call the police, have her arrested, and then file for a restraining order. That would still land you in hot water, though, as far as the rent responsibility.

Eventually, if she doesn't have an income, and you are jointly and severally responsible, you're stuck for the entire rent. Your roommate sounds like she's a psycho. I'm sorry.

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Top Level Member

Your lease agreement may contain terms regarding breaking of lease. You can act according to terms, but you have to pay all costs for breaking the lease. The other option is to patiently wait for the termination of the lease and move alone to the new spot.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Wasa's Flag is: Great Britain

I am in a similuar situation. I am renting a room with a guy but I have now moved in with friends becasue he was so horrible. He has been in my room a few times and moved around my stuff, He does not respect me or my feelings at all and he is very rude. He bring his friend home and from my bedroom I can hear how they are laughing and talking loads of **** about me. When I confront him with this he is just trying to save his ass and making up exuses and even lie about things. It not fun to get bullied in what is suppose to be my home! I have saved all our conversations so I have proof of all of it. I am still on the contract and are still paying the rent even though I dont live there anymore. I have found new tenants but they where not good enough for him, first becasue he wnated them to pay 6 months of rent to him before they moved in, becasue he said he didnt want someone else immature person to deal with who is moving in with friends and not paying the rent, but the funny thing is I have been paying the rent even tough I dont live there and dont want to. And I moved becasue of him, but he cant see that he is doing anything wrong. This is making my life a hell at the moment. I talked to the estate agents and they said that the only way to get of the contract is to find a new tenant (did not mention his bad behaviour) I wonder if there is a law who can put me of the conract becasue of his behaviour? All of what I have just explained is just a tiny bit of all that he has done. Please help! dont know what to do!
Wasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
chula58's Flag is: United States

Wow I'm sorry to hear, sounds so similar. My roommate knows the ball is in her court. I am currently working on finding a replacement to take over, with each person she says no. She is purposely making it difficult for me to want to leave. I spoke with my property manager and she says that my roommate has to agree on the new roommate and for me to leave the lease! I feel like she is doing these things out of spite.
chula58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Wasa's Flag is: Great Britain

Exactly what mine is doing! It is so annoying and disrespectfully. He does not except anyone I have found, but now I have talked to the landlord and she said that he has no right to disagree, so I have found one now and I wont tell him about it before the contract has been signed. And I offered the september month for free as I wanted to get rid of the room (and him) as soon as possible. I hope you find someone as well! Good Luck!
Wasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Unregistered

wow your lucky. My property manager says She won't put someone in lease without her permission. So I have been extra nice to her despite of what annoys me. I don't want to make her mad. And when the new roommate signs lease, she's gona hear it from me!!

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2829 times