Can I keep my ex roommates things until back rent is paid

This is a discussion on Can I keep my ex roommates things until back rent is paid within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; My mom rented a room to a friend and had a verbal agreement with him saying he pays 200 a ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
wied1992's Flag is: United States

Default Can I keep my ex roommates things until back rent is paid

My mom rented a room to a friend and had a verbal agreement with him saying he pays 200 a month and we split utilities. He lived here from january and was kicked out in june because he started to work out of town and when he was in town he stayed at his sisters. He has only paid rent for january and hasn't paid any utilities. I ask him every time he is home to pay. He still has a broken truck in the yard. Can I keep the keys to the truck until he pays back rent?
wied1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Can I keep my ex roommates things until back rent is paid

I wish to inform you that laws of your state will govern your rights. In this regard certain states like Texas provide about landlords lien over non exempt property. In this regard your mother can keep non exempt property if it is allowed in your state. Under landlord lien goods may be kept till payment has been made. The burden to show unpaid amount is on you. Your mother may issue a demand letter to other party and if other party refuses then even a lawsuit may also be filed.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #3
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wied1992 View Post
My mom rented a room to a friend and had a verbal agreement with him saying he pays 200 a month and we split utilities. He lived here from january and was kicked out in june because he started to work out of town and when he was in town he stayed at his sisters. He has only paid rent for january and hasn't paid any utilities. I ask him every time he is home to pay. He still has a broken truck in the yard. Can I keep the keys to the truck until he pays back rent?
You'll have to tell what state you're in to see if that is allowed by law.

If it isn't permitted by law, the best you can do is send a letter to the person's last known address (CERTIFIED, Return Receipt Requested) and advise them that the property will be considered abandoned if they do not claim it within a specific amount of time (each state's laws on abandoned property vary, it could be anywhere from a few days up to 30). You could also advise that from this point forward, for every day that you continue to store their property, you are charging a storage fee of X dollars that must be paid in order to claim the property.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wied1992 View Post
It doesn't matter what state you're in. You cannot withhold his truck keys until he pays rent. He can take you to court, sue you and win if you do anything along those lines.

The property is not yours.

Besides which, this matter is between him and your mother since she's the one who rented him the room. There is nothing you can (or should) be doing to involve yourself.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #5
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can I keep my ex roommates things until back rent is paid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It doesn't matter what state you're in. You cannot withhold his truck keys until he pays rent. He can take you to court, sue you and win if you do anything along those lines.

The property is not yours.

Besides which, this matter is between him and your mother since she's the one who rented him the room. There is nothing you can (or should) be doing to involve yourself.
WRONG.

For instance, some states, like Texas, DO allow a LL to place a lien on personal property for outstanding rent balances. And if OP is acting as an authorized agent of her Mom, the LL, then she would have the authority to enforce that lien on Mom's behalf (or at least tell Mom what she can do).

Please don't make inaccurate responses when you don't know your facts..
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #6
MrsW

Wink Re: Can I keep my ex roommates things until back rent is paid

Please do note, honey: In some states, vehicles that are "abandoned" after 30 days are required, by law, to go to the State and sold at auction. You may never see return on that kind of withholding. {However, car-parts.com and ebay.com let anonymous people sell car parts (I'm not sure why I just said that) } If something happens to that car within the given 30 days, make SURE you report it!- GOOD LUCK☺

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Sandyclause is the only rental expert on this site. You can also research her replie sunlike the unregistered users. If you do so you will see time and time again she replies with accurate, concise answers which shows her knowledge in this area. If you doubt the answers give the state and I am sure Sandy can supply the statute that applies.
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Unregistered

You cannot keep the keys to somebody's truck in Texas.

The law does not allow that. That is not a lien-able item for back rent.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1965 times