WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues > I ruined one bed room carpet. Is it legal to make me pay a whole carpet?

I ruined one bed room carpet. Is it legal to make me pay a whole carpet?

This is a discussion on I ruined one bed room carpet. Is it legal to make me pay a whole carpet? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I recently bleached my one bed room carpet. I talked to the tenant and they said if they cannot find ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #1
yamato's Flag is: Canada

Unhappy I ruined one bed room carpet. Is it legal to make me pay a whole carpet?

I recently bleached my one bed room carpet. I talked to the tenant and they said if they cannot find a same carpet as they used before, they will charge me a whole carpet to replace it. I mean I have to replace the whole carpet in my apartment including living room. I have no problem with replacing one bed room carpet, but I will never ever able to replace the whole carpet.. is that legal to make me pay a whole Carpet because of i just ruined one bed room carpet? They also said I cannot use my security deposit to the carpet..
yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Top Level Member
able1's Flag is: United States

Default Re: I ruined one bed room carpet. Is it legal to make me pay a whole carpet?

If the carpet cannot be separated easily with an acceptable look then yes you can be made to pay.

But you could contest it in small claims. You might argue it is clearly separable and looks fine etc. if new carpet is put solely on the bedroom. ----if that is the case.
able1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: I ruined one bed room carpet. Is it legal to make me pay a whole carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato View Post
I recently bleached my one bed room carpet. I talked to the tenant and they said if they cannot find a same carpet as they used before, they will charge me a whole carpet to replace it. I mean I have to replace the whole carpet in my apartment including living room. I have no problem with replacing one bed room carpet, but I will never ever able to replace the whole carpet.. is that legal to make me pay a whole Carpet because of i just ruined one bed room carpet? They also said I cannot use my security deposit to the carpet..
You talked to the tenant? Did you mean landlord?

Again, look at your lease agreement. The best place to get answers are from that. This all should have been outlined for you before you signed your lease agreement.

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4
Top Level Member

First you look in to the lease agreement and find out is there any mention about such a situation? If there is follow as per the terms of the lease agreement. If it is not mentioned then you will be liable to replace it if the carpet is a new one. If the carpet is an old one then you will need to reimburse the amount according to the depreciation of the carpet. If the carpet is a separable one then it seems that you need to replace that carpet alone.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1930 times