Renting a room out maybe... Can the landlord raise my rent?

This is a discussion on Renting a room out maybe... Can the landlord raise my rent? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I am planning on renting a room in my apartment i have a 2br. And it is me and my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Renting a room out maybe... Can the landlord raise my rent?

I am planning on renting a room in my apartment i have a 2br. And it is me and my daughter. Times are hard and i plan on asking my lanlord if its ok to allow me to have a roommate.

I read that i do not need actual permission but i do need to notify him of me getting a roommate because this person is not a relaitive and im aloud to at least have one roommate if i want one because i have a 2br. Is this true? Can he raise my rent?
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Bunny Hops

Default re: Renting a room out maybe... Can the landlord raise my rent?

Renting out a room in an apt you rent is called subletting. Depending on where you are located, you generally DO need permission from the landlord, unless there is a clause in your rental agreement that states you are permitted to sublet, etc.

Yes, you LL might raise your rent--after all, it IS more wear and tear on the rental unit than just having an adult and a child as tenants...now it will be two adults and one child. Do you pay utilities or is that covered in your rental agreement that your LL pays them? Another adult living there would increase utility costs. If the utilities are in your name, then you get to be the person who collects (or tires to collect) the roommate's share.

If you do go down this path, BE SURE you have legal paperwork in place to protect you if your "roommate" defaults on his/her part of the rent or utilities etc. Even with such paperwork, depending on where you are, you would have legal recourse to post a 3-Day Cure or Quit notice, or to evict but that can be a lengthy process as you have to serve proper notice, etc etc and if your roomie doesn't cooperate, s/he still gets to live there with you while you are bringing proceedings against him/her--which could take 2 to 6 months.

Additionally, your roommate will probably want to have friends over...perhaps and most likely overnight unless your roommate is a celibate. Most people are not celibate. Perhaps your roommate will have s3x with their "overnight" friend. I'm not sure how young your child is, but you may or may not feel comfortable with this behavior AND you may or may not feel comfortable with a "stranger" overnighting in your home. Often, an overnighter might just become your new roommate. Oh boy.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1569 times