How to legally determine prorated rent in Portland, OR

This is a discussion on How to legally determine prorated rent in Portland, OR within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; My landlord is trying to pro-rate rent in a weird way, and I think it's just so he can collect ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default How to legally determine prorated rent in Portland, OR

My landlord is trying to pro-rate rent in a weird way, and I think it's just so he can collect more money from me. I've never seen it done this way: Rent of $995.00 X 12 months = $11,940.00 divided by 365 days in the year = $32.71 a day X 19 days = $$621.49
The only two ways I've ever seen rent prorated are: 1) rent divided by # days in the month times number of days stayed or 2) 30 day "banker's calendar", such that we just use 30 days to determine pro-rated amount.
Please advise on if it is even legal to charge it the way he is trying. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default determine prorated rent in OR

Hi Portland.. will the answer you got on the Avvo site is correct...

The Oregon Realestate Agency accepts either method as long as the LL uses it consistantly...

As I practice in both Ore and Wa.. his is the one I see most LL using as it eleminates the leap year/ 31 or 30 day month and makes the proration uniform

good luck

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #3
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Confused Re: How to legally determine prorated rent in Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My landlord is trying to pro-rate rent in a weird way, and I think it's just so he can collect more money from me. I've never seen it done this way: Rent of $995.00 X 12 months = $11,940.00 divided by 365 days in the year = $32.71 a day X 19 days = $$621.49
The only two ways I've ever seen rent prorated are: 1) rent divided by # days in the month times number of days stayed or 2) 30 day "banker's calendar", such that we just use 30 days to determine pro-rated amount.
Please advise on if it is even legal to charge it the way he is trying. Thank you!
I don't get what you're even complaining about here.

If you figure rent based on a standard 30-day month, the daily rate would be:
$33.27 a day x 19 days =$630.17

vs. LL's way:
$32.71 a day X 19 days = $621.49

Seems to me that you are making a fuss over something that is complete nonsense. The LLs "weird" way actually charges you LESS. Thank the LL for crediting you with the extra $9 and change doing it his way and stop being ridiculous.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default Re: How to legally determine prorated rent in Portland, OR

I'm not complaining about what my landlord is charging me. The math didn't add up for me, and I like to know laws regarding tenancy both for my own protection and because I like learning new things. I appreciate any LEGAL advice, but not necessarily the subjective commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyclaus View Post
I don't get what you're even complaining about here.

If you figure rent based on a standard 30-day month, the daily rate would be:
$33.27 a day x 19 days =$630.17

vs. LL's way:
$32.71 a day X 19 days = $621.49

Seems to me that you are making a fuss over something that is complete nonsense. The LLs "weird" way actually charges you LESS. Thank the LL for crediting you with the extra $9 and change doing it his way and stop being ridiculous.

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #5
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: How to legally determine prorated rent in Portland, OR

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not complaining about what my landlord is charging me. The math didn't add up for me, and I like to know laws regarding tenancy both for my own protection and because I like learning new things. I appreciate any LEGAL advice, but not necessarily the subjective commentary.
Your question really had nothing to do with tenancy, it had EVERYTHING to do with simple math.

Just because the math was being done in a different manner than you are accustomed to, you assumed it had to be somehow illegal. That's the reason you asked the question, right?

And when you say that "the math didn't add up" for you, you believed that what the LL was charging you was MORE, not less ("I think it's just so he can collect more money from me "). I think that the problem here has nothing to do with the legality of how the LL chose to calculate the prorated rent, and has EVERYTHING to do with you not properly adding up the figures yourself. You jumped to the conclusion that the LL was somehow out to rip you off, when in reality, their different way of figuring the prorated rent is actually in your favor.

Sorry, but I stand by my original response. It's not a question of whether this is legal, it's a question of whether or not you can do the math. Perfectly legal to do it his way. Still don't know why you're even asking the question (unless you're worried that he is going to come back and demand MORE from you later on?)...
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2279 times