Rental receipt (money order, proof of payment)

This is a discussion on Rental receipt (money order, proof of payment) within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; Does my copy of a money order count as a receipt or proof of payment?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Unregistered

Question Rental receipt (money order, proof of payment)

Does my copy of a money order count as a receipt or proof of payment?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Rental receipt (money order, proof of payment)

Money orders serve as a valid proof of payments. Copies of money orders are accepted as receipt and proof of purchase for the sender. Provided you have the original one with you.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Unregistered

Thats good thank you, I do infact have the original one with me.
My landloard would not give me a receipt when I asked for it the last two times so I held onto my part of the money order.

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does my copy of a money order count a a receipt or proff of payment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Money orders serve as a valid proof of payments. Copies of money orders are accepted as receipt and proof of purchase for the sender. Provided you have the original one with you.
Quote:
Thats good thank you, I do infact have the original one with me.
My landloard would not give me a receipt when I asked for it the last two times so I held onto my part of the money order.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Lexus is WRONG here.

A copy of a money order only shows that you purchased a money order. It does not prove that you ever gave that money order as payment. (The same goes with a check, which is why most people require a copy of the front and back of that check to show that it has actually been cashed.)

The proof only comes when you can show that the money order was actually cashed by the person to whom it was addressed. You can request proof that the money order was cashed by placing a tracer request with the issuer (expect to pay a fee for the service and it may take up to 6 weeks to obtain the actual documentation).

You don't say what state you live in, but in many states, the LL is legally required to provide you with a receipt. I would have one ready and waiting for them on your next rent payment, and have them sign an acknowledgement of having received that money order as you hand it over to them. You are entitled to a receipt when you pay by any other method other than a check (as most people can use a check as a receipt, because they can easily obtain a check copy from their bank to prove it was negotiated).
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default Re: Rental receipt (money order, proof of payment)

Any form of receipt may be sufficient so long it carries his signatures, the amount and the purpose of payment. So a copy too would be sufficient.

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Unregistered

since you have the original, the duplicate copy duly attested can be shown as evidence of proof of payment

Old Oct 14th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #7
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Any form of receipt may be sufficient so long it carries his signatures, the amount and the purpose of payment. So a copy too would be sufficient.
Quote:
since you have the original, the duplicate copy duly attested can be shown as evidence of proof of payment
Again, a COPY of the front of a money order is only evidence that a money order was purchased, NOT that it was ever used for payment or negotiated.

As stated before, unless you have a signature from the person receiving that payment as acknowledgement that the payment was received (i.e., endorsement of a check or money order, found on the reverse of that check or money order), it can be challenged as actual proof of having made the payment.

So, NO, just having a copy of the money order would NOT be sufficient to constitute proof of payment here unless you also provide the reverse of the negotiated money order showing that the LL actually received, negotiated, and cashed the money order. Only with that signature is there proof that the payment was tendered and received by the LL.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 4545 times