carpet / paint laws in virginia

This is a discussion on carpet / paint laws in virginia within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; the house i live in is 25 years old. carpet was never replaced before i moved in, ditto for painting, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Unregistered

Confused carpet / paint laws in virginia

the house i live in is 25 years old. carpet was never replaced before i moved in, ditto for painting, and has never been done in the ten years i have lived here. the owners had a relative slap up some paint that is a different color over spackling repairs. didn't stir the pot over these issues - trying to get anything done here is like pulling teeth. took 2+ years to have roof repaired. , etc. have told owner in past about rain getting in the sliding glass doors and getting carpet wet, i think it also comes in thru the floor as it is a walkout unit at bottom of hill. it comes in thru the upstairs slider, as well, (not nearly as bad) onto hardwood floor, so it's not just that it's the basement - i believe the sliders are faulty. having gutters cleaned help some. tack strip at slider is completely disintegrated. have used wet vac and carpet deodorizer in past - this time it rained in torrents for 2 days straight - it reeks to the third floor and i'm having had severe allergic reactions and should really not be staying here. informed owners who are now trying to say i NEVER told them about this. i did tell them, but never raised a stink (no pun intended) b/c it was never this bad before, and the rent is great for this area and lakefront property, so i picked my battles. have pics on my computer from 07 but no email or certified letter history. i offered to split cost of carpet with them b/c a candle melted some fibers and my genius roommate cut a large hole in carpet several years ago. (ostensibly to match design as it is variegated/berber type) but if carpet was never replaced and is 20+ years old and i informed them of occurrence in past, am i still liable? i think they are going to try to keep my security deposit and sue me to replace baseboards, etc. as i am now communicating solely with their lawyer after giving 30 days notice on a month to month lease. nothing in lease re: cleaning carpets upon move out. any help is GREATLY appreciated. also - was my security deposit kept in escrow?
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2

Default Re: carpet / paint laws in virginia

Generally speaking, carpet wear and the occasional paint scuff would be considered normal wear and tear, which is not something a landlord can retain the security deposit for.
Here's a summary of Virginia's landlord tenant law, which delves into security deposit returns, etc. It's from a landlord forms company so it's written for landlords, but the information is the same.
Hope that information helps,
Brian
Rental Investor is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
carpet, repair, security deposit, wet basement

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 4151 times