WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues > bed bugs: who is legally responsible for paying for the extermination?

bed bugs: who is legally responsible for paying for the extermination?

This is a discussion on bed bugs: who is legally responsible for paying for the extermination? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I recently found a bed bug in my bedroom. I called Terminix and asked them if they could out to ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused bed bugs: who is legally responsible for paying for the extermination?

I recently found a bed bug in my bedroom. I called Terminix and asked them if they could out to check. Oh, I live in an apt complex and I live in an 8 apt unit/bldg. (4 upstairs and 4 downstairs). Terminix told me they would not come out because it was the landlords responsibility to take care of it because they would also have to treat all adjoining apts to eradicate the problem. I called my landlord and she said I was responsible for paying for the extermination of my apartment. According to Indiana law, who is legally responsible for paying for this?
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: bed bugs: who is legally responsible for paying for the extermination?

I wish to inform you that it is the lease agreement signed between you and your landlord that will guide in this matter. If the lease agreement is silent then if the landlord has provided you with a pest free certificate of the premises from a pest control company at the start of the lease would free the landlord of the obligation of paying for bed bug extermination. If it has not been done then IC 32-31-8-5(1) states that the landlord is responsible to keep the rental premises in a safe, clean and habitable condition. Under IC 32-31-8-6, you are to provide a written notice of the problem to the landlord. If the landlord does not resolve the matter then you may file a lawsuit. You may claim costs from the landlord.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 2700 times