Being sued by landlord 5 years later?!

This is a discussion on Being sued by landlord 5 years later?! within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I live in Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia. I have just been served a summons saying I'm being sued for about ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Unregistered

Angry Being sued by landlord 5 years later?!

I live in Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia. I have just been served a summons saying I'm being sued for about $6500 by a previous landlord of a trailer park I lived in 5 years ago! My girlfriend and I had gotten into a fight and I left her there. She had gotten swept up in the rampant drug problems in the trailer park. The landlord made it a regular practice to shut off utilities, such as electricity, etc, if a tenant was a day late on the rent. The "lease" was a 6 month lease which was paid by the week. This is the first notification I've received on this matter. It's my understanding that any landlord, regardless of a lease contract, can only sue for the amount of rent they lost while the unit was vacant, or the amount from the time I left until the time it was re-rented... is this true? Is there a statute of limitations here? The summons says the claim is in the following amounts:

$4,230 Principal plus $2,117 Interest plus $103 Cost to date plus any future costs of the claim.

This adds up to $6,450 !!! Is this legal? Have these people bumped their heads?!

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Being sued by landlord 5 years later?!

I wish to inform you that statue of limitations in case of contract is 4 years but in case of written contract is 6 years. In this regard if your rent contract is in writing then statue of limitations is 6 years. Further acts of landlord to shut out utilities may be claimed a acts amounting to unjust practice. Further loss of actual amount can be claimed. Actual loss amount is the amount which was suffered by landlord after taking reasonable care to reduce the losses.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1060 times