GETTING MY EX-BOYFRIEND OUT OF MY HOUSE IN OHIO

This is a discussion on GETTING MY EX-BOYFRIEND OUT OF MY HOUSE IN OHIO within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I live in Ohio. In November 2009 my boyfriend (now my ex-boyfriend) moved in with me. We had no written ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default GETTING MY EX-BOYFRIEND OUT OF MY HOUSE IN OHIO

I live in Ohio. In November 2009 my boyfriend (now my ex-boyfriend) moved in with me. We had no written or oral agreement about rent or utilities or anything like that. He just said he would do what he could to help out around the house. Well, he has never paid any cash toward living expenses and has only a few times bought a few groceries (and most of those were things he wanted). He has only helped around the house a few times with some small repairs and he mowed the lawn once. I have asked him to leave and he will not leave. I need to know if I have to EVICT him or if there is something else that I can do to get him out of my house without having to pay the fees to file an eviction.
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: GETTING MY EX-BOYFRIEND OUT OF MY HOUSE IN OHIO

I wish to inform you that in order to evict your ex-boyfriend you may first give a written notice that if he does not leave then you will start legal proceedings for eviction. This notice will have a three (3) day notice period. In this, if your ex-boyfriend still does not leave then your main option is of filing an eviction suit. Chances of eviction without court order are very less because court only has the power to issue orders for eviction. In court, you will be required to pay necessary court fees. The hearing will be held within about two (2) weeks time. You must present all the facts at the time of hearing to the court. If the court orders the eviction then you may request the court for a Writ of Restitution. This will enable the court to send a bailiff to evict the tenant from the premises.

AFF

Last edited by AFFA; Jun 8th, 2010 at 03:56 AM.
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: GETTING MY EX-BOYFRIEND OUT OF MY HOUSE IN OHIO

AFFA's advise is incorrect. OH law requires a 30 day notice to vacate for any month to month agreement or occupancy (which is what his tenancy would be considered). Give him a written 30 day notice asking him to move out and return the keys. No reason need be given. Keep a copy of this notice in a safe place. You will need it if you have to evict. Give the notice to him on or before the first of the month to be out at the end of the month. (OH is a term state and all notices must correspond with the rental period.) You can only deliver a 3 day notice to him is it was for non-payment of rent, for drugs, or for a material breech of a lease. (Please look up the statute before you give advice AFFA.) OH Revised Code 5321.17

If he refuses to leave and is not out by the end of the month, you can go file for eviction with the clerk of court. Expect to wait 3 to 4 weeks for a hearing in most courts (not 2 weeks). OH law says the hearing must take pace within 28 days and most courts are well booked.

f it goes to court, the judge will order for possession, but they will give him a few more days to move out. If he still hasn't left, go back to the clerk of court and ask for a set out by the sheriff. The deputy will physically set him and his things on the street. You can then change the locks. There is no other way to avoid an eviction and its costs if he refuses to leave.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
ohio landlord

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 5491 times