Mobile home dog issue - California

This is a discussion on Mobile home dog issue - California within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; San Diego, CA.......we live in a mobile home park for 5 years.... have a signed lease and no prior problems ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Mobile home dog issue - California

San Diego, CA.......we live in a mobile home park for 5 years.... have a signed lease and no prior problems with management...... we just got a new dog..... it is a 2 pound chihuahua mix and lives indoors 100% of the time...... the management is now insisting we install either a 6' fence around our entire house.... or a 15' dog run in the back yard........the lease DOES NOT mention any specific required measurements..... it only states exactly "resident must have fenced area for dogs"....... so we erected a 4' by 3' caged area in the backyard..... the management told me it is inadequate and an "insult"..... and are threatening legal action...... I am likely going to court...I feel that since the lease does not give/state any specific dimensions for the "fenced area".... that I have complied with the lease as it is written......I am eager to hear some professional opinions......My thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #2
msg
Top Level Member
msg's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Mobile home dog issue - California

Does that fenced area actually hold the dogs sometimes?

If it does then you will likely prevail. If it is just a sham to get around the spirit of the rule that you all agree to live by, then the court will probably not find in your favor.

Given the very small size of your dog it seems you indeed may have a good argument.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Unregistered

I disagree. While you may not need to fence the entire yard, a 4' x 3' area is not adequate for any sized dog. The area must be sufficient in size to allow the dog some exercise and freedom to move and run. A 4' x 3' area is not large enough to allow any dog to run or exercise. It is not good for the dog to be penned in an area so small. Check with the humane society or PETA for their suggested size requirements for an adult dog of your breed and follow those. Then if management still complains, show the size requirements from these agencies to prove that you have provided adequate exercise facilities.

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree. While you may not need to fence the entire yard, a 4' x 3' area is not adequate for any sized dog. The area must be sufficient in size to allow the dog some exercise and freedom to move and run. A 4' x 3' area is not large enough to allow any dog to run or exercise. It is not good for the dog to be penned in an area so small. Check with the humane society or PETA for their suggested size requirements for an adult dog of your breed and follow those. Then if management still complains, show the size requirements from these agencies to prove that you have provided adequate exercise facilities.
thanks everyone for the replies......I understand your point.... but this is a tiny 2 pound dog...... I do not intend to EVER have it in the fenced area nor does the lease state I need to..... the dog lives inside 100% of the time.

Old May 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Unregistered

So you NEVER allow the dog out? It gets no exercise? What about going to the bathroom? Why not just put a lead in the ground (a metal screw-in stake with a 15' lead)? That should count as a dog run and solve the entire problem.

Old May 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So you NEVER allow the dog out? It gets no exercise? What about going to the bathroom? Why not just put a lead in the ground (a metal screw-in stake with a 15' lead)? That should count as a dog run and solve the entire problem.
actually..we take the dog OFF property to a park for exercise........ in California it is illegal to tie/tether a dog to a fixed object for more then 3 hours......but anyway..... the management seems to have came to their collective senses and has now offered to pay for fencing to build a "dog run"..... I do not want to build it but have decided to do so in order to avoid missing work to attend court.....thanks much for the opinions/help. (thumbs up)

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1672 times