Eviction of family member: Evicting an 18 year old granddaughter

This is a discussion on Eviction of family member: Evicting an 18 year old granddaughter within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; i would like to know how to go about evicting an 18 year old granddaughter who has established residency in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Eviction of family member: Evicting an 18 year old granddaughter

i would like to know how to go about evicting an 18 year old granddaughter who has established residency in my home?

she was never required to pay any rent or cost for utilities, etc. my problem is that since she has become a legal adult (18) her derogatory and vulgar language, blantant disobedience and disruption of my home have increased 200%.

when i tell her that my desire is for her to leave because she has no respect for me she responds by telling me that she does not have to do anything or go anywhere. i am no longer willing to put up with her. I have had her since she was 14; she was removed from her parents because of abuse issues- but i have been nothing but kind and loving towards her and have done everything that i could to help her to continue to move forward -- i am no longer interested in helping someone who continue to be beligerant towards me and who seems to be determined to disregard anything that has been said to her.
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Eviction of family member: Evicting an 18 year old granddaughter

I wish to inform you that you can give your grand daughter a 30 days written notice to leave the house and keep a receipt of the notice sent by you. Your relation with your grand daughter is similar to landlord and tenant as a civil matter. If after 30 days your grand daughter does not leave then you can file an eviction suit. Alternatively you can report the matter to police and can inform them that your grand daughter is present in the premises without your wishes and is a trespasser. You can follow any of the remedies which you may like.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Eviction of family member: Evicting an 18 year old granddaughter

You did not list your state. Depending on the state, 30 days notice may not be correct. The person in question has resided at your residence for 4 years now. In CA, you would be required to give her a 60 day written notice. But in NC, you would only have to give her 7 days notice to leave. So please list your state so we can tell you exactly how long of a written notice you must give this girl to vacate the home. Hand the notice to her with a witness. The notice should state that you are giving her written notice to vacate the premises and that all keys should be returned by xx/xx, the end date of the notice. Keep a copy of this notice in a secure place in case you later need to go to court. If she refuses to leave, you will have to file to evict her.

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Default Re: Eviction of family member: Evicting an 18 year old granddaughter

My mother is in the same situation with my sister who is 29. They live in FL what can she do to get her out?

Dawn
pcbeachbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Unregistered

Please see the last post. It describes the 15 day notice and the process after that notice.

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Unregistered

I am having the same issue but here is my situation,we live in west virginia, i am renting an apartment that is section 8 i am the step dad to the 18 year old male, what would i need to do since i am on the section 8 housing and the apartment complex as head of household we have lived here for 8 years.

Old May 9th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am having the same issue but here is my situation,we live in west virginia, i am renting an apartment that is section 8 i am the step dad to the 18 year old male, what would i need to do since i am on the section 8 housing and the apartment complex as head of household we have lived here for 8 years.
What does Sec 8 say about who is authorized to live with you? If they cover the now-18 year old, you may want to call Sec 8 and see what they say about another "adult" living with you...that may change things and the young man may need to leave. Sec. 8 could probably help you with that, or you could call legal aid and ask for advice.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 5522 times