Can a owner or landlord legally shut your water off?

This is a discussion on Can a owner or landlord legally shut your water off? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; Indiana Can an owner or landlord legally shut your water off? ...because of the unpaid rent by two days?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can a owner or landlord legally shut your water off?

Indiana

Can an owner or landlord legally shut your water off? ...because of the unpaid rent by two days?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #2
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can a owner or landlord legally shut your water off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Indiana

Can an owner or landlord legally shut your water off? ...because of the unpaid rent by two days?
Can my landlord shut off my utilities if I haven't paid the rent?
No, not unless your landlord has a court order allowing them to shut off your utilities, or you have abandoned your home. However, your landlord can shut off your electricity, gas, water, or other essential services if there is an emergency, to make repairs, or for necessary construction. The landlord also cannot remove the doors, windows, fixtures, or appliances from your home without a court order, unless you have abandoned it.

What can I do if my landlord has wrongfully locked me out of my home or shut off my utilities?
You can ask your local Small Claims Court for an emergency order telling your landlord to let you back in your home or restore your utility service. You must file a sworn written statement that tells the court exactly what your landlord has done, or threatened to do, and what damages, inconveniences, and costs you have suffered because of your landlord's actions. When you ask for an emergency order, the court must set an emergency hearing within three (3) business days.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Indiana

No, they cannot. That is considered actionable eviction. They cannot do that. They must utilized the courts in order to evict. Keep accurate record of this event, and make sure you note the times, dates, and events of other violations by the landlord. They will ensure you a victorious win in court.

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #4
lyons@yahoo.com

Unhappy Re: Can a owner or landlord legally shut your water off?

I live at a house in fb cali, with no running water , no electricity ,no heat and rats in my celing .
i have a civil court case coming up at the end of june . I havent hade any of this sience i moved in.oct 31 09
The landlord is in big trouble.
I am disabled and sick with cancer and a hernia i recived removing excessive trash off the properity , of past tentents.
I am at my wits end.
I turned the land lord in to the b.b.b. and to the public health .
I hired a attorney and i don"t know what else to do but, wait.
The landlord is scared and the pictures i have will hurt the most.
I am very stressed out, with my medical situation... the house, in short, and i still havent been able to get my case heard yet, because the land lord is delaying it every chance she gets.
I have service animals and i need re-location fees. To even move.
What do i do now?

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #5
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons@yahoo.com View Post
I live at a house in fb cali, with no running water , no electricity ,no heat and rats in my celing .
i have a civil court case coming up at the end of june . I havent hade any of this sience i moved in.oct 31 09
The landlord is in big trouble.
I am disabled and sick with cancer and a hernia i recived removing excessive trash off the properity , of past tentents.
I am at my wits end.
I turned the land lord in to the b.b.b. and to the public health .
I hired a attorney and i don"t know what else to do but, wait.
The landlord is scared and the pictures i have will hurt the most.
I am very stressed out, with my medical situation... the house, in short, and i still havent been able to get my case heard yet, because the land lord is delaying it every chance she gets.
I have service animals and i need re-location fees. To even move.
What do i do now?
Where is "FB Cali"?

Did the rental have running water, electricity, and heat when you moved in? Whose responsibility was it to pay for these utility services - you or your LL?

As a general rule, the BBB does NOT handle landlord tenant disputes, they won't even get involved.

What did the health dept say about the conditions of the property, i.e., no running water, electricity, and the existence of rats/vermin? Chances are if things are considered unsanitary, or a safety or health hazard, they will have issued a written violation warning to the LL to correct the issues, allowing him a certain amount of time to correct the deficiencies or face a fine (or worse). At worst, they may even condemn the property, but that means you would have to move out NOW.

Good grief, if there are so many problems going in, why are you still there? How can you possibly LIVE in a place that has no running water or electricity?
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #6
dtp951@aol.com

I am having the same problem in hemet ca.our rent has always been paid but we complain about things not working. our showers do not drain properly rats in the walls breaker box and sockets spark! We haven't had heat since we moved here over 2 years ago And now we Have a sewer pipe leaking under our house and poop spilling into our driveway..they refuse to fix any of it.. I think they got tired of us complaining so the property management lady called Edison and told them that the property was vacant and they shut off our power! Witch was in my wife's name and Edison refuses to turn it back on..can she legally do that? we were never evicted or anything Please help I have 2 baby's in the house and it gets cold in here at night what can we do??

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp951@aol.com View Post
I am having the same problem in hemet ca.our rent has always been paid but we complain about things not working. our showers do not drain properly rats in the walls breaker box and sockets spark! We haven't had heat since we moved here over 2 years ago And now we Have a sewer pipe leaking under our house and poop spilling into our driveway..they refuse to fix any of it.. I think they got tired of us complaining so the property management lady called Edison and told them that the property was vacant and they shut off our power! Witch was in my wife's name and Edison refuses to turn it back on..can she legally do that? we were never evicted or anything Please help I have 2 baby's in the house and it gets cold in here at night what can we do??
By your own admission, there is an electrical danger present. I suggest you advise landlord of the needed repairs according to state law. It may take a while to get the issues fixed. It may be easier to move.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM   #8
dtp951@aol.com

We are moving in 8 days but something needs to be done for them making us live that way for so long...they offerd us 695$ to cover moving cost! Witch or new place is going to cost 2600 total..can we still take them to court after we move for having to live in these hazardous conditions? I have code enforcement coming to do a inspection on the home. Monday Morning will a copy of that report help our case if there is on?

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 8896 times